Tasks list item and Approval status column values disappear for SharePoint's OOB Approval Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have an interesting situation at hand.

Situation: 
    1) A user submitted a document for approval using SharePoint's OOB Approval workflow. 
    2) The approval process went smoothly without any glitches till all participants completed their tasks.
    3) However, all of a sudden, the "Approval" column that shows the outcome of workflow (like "In Progress", "Approved" etc) went blank for all documents! The column is just empty!
    4) And the task list item for that specific workflow just disappeared.

Newer SharePoint OOB Approval workflows created in the same document library are running normally now.

Note: The workflows are started manually

That leaves us with two questions
    a) Why did the Approval column go blank?
    b) Why did the task list item for that workflow disappear?
    c) Why did it happen for that specific item?

Could you guys help me solve this mystery? My biggest concern is to avoid its recurrence.

Thank You,
    Nalla Paiyan
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:34 PM

Answers

• No, what I meant is that you have installed the WF the second time, eg. if you have compiled the WF and run postbuild.
    • Marked as answer by Nalla Paiyan Monday, February 23, 2009 5:41 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:00 AM

All replies

• Looks like you have a newer installation of the same 'approval' WF that destroys information from the old WF.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Thanks for the response. However, I don't think starting a new Approval workflow for the same item or a different item would have that effect. I even tried testing that option, it only starts a new approval workflow normally and completes it.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:40 PM
  • No, what I meant is that you have installed the WF the second time, eg. if you have compiled the WF and run postbuild.
    • Marked as answer by Nalla Paiyan Monday, February 23, 2009 5:41 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:00 AM
  • You're probably right, that is what must've happened. Thank You.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Hi Nalla, have you fixed your problem? I have exactly the same problem.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 8:19 AM
  • I too have this problem.

The workflow status has disappeared for lots of my executed (and completed) workflows. They are custom workflows but I have not updated them between starting the workflow and the status disappearing so I don't think that Frank's suggestion matches my scenario
    Friday, April 3, 2009 3:34 PM
  • I've found the problem that was affecting me so thought I would share. This doesn't appear to be documented anywhere too obvious, but have just found a few blogs about it.

There is a timer job that removes workflow history after 60 days. Check out these posts:

http://www.sharepointblogs.com/llowevad/archive/2007/09/21/huge-workflow-issue-what-is-microsoft-thinking.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointworkflow/thread/b15b27e2-3033-418b-9731-968273d7423e

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298800.aspx

hope that helps
    • Proposed as answer by simongidney Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:13 PM