No decent thumbnails for MS Office documents

Question

• The current state of Office 2010 doc thumbnails in Explorer and therefore in Metro Style apps that use the WinRT thumbnailing facilities is not very good. Thumbnails of Word < 2007 files (.doc) have just the Word icon and docx Files a very bad rendition of the docs content.

Are there any plans to bring decent thumbnail support for Microsofts own Office suite or do we have to code our own thumbnailer?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies

• Sorry Phil,

We cannot discuss unreleased or future enhancements.  You may want to try up on the forums for office support, but the answer will probably be the same.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:39 PM
  • So now that Office 2013 Preview is released and installed on this machine I get... still not thumbnails for Word documents. Its the new Word icon now, but no preview of the doc as in Explorer. Why is such basic integration still not working correctly? Do we really have to write thumbnail support for every format from scratch again?!
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Any news on that? I think its a shame that its currently not possible to get decent thumbnails for MS Office documents on Windows 8 (with or without MS Office 2013 installed).

So far, I think the only solution is to deploy a simple server to the Azure cloud and use the COM interfaces MS Office provides to render thumbnails and send them back to the Windows Store app.

Friday, November 2, 2012 1:48 PM
  • I searched for "metro style app icons" on Bing and got some great results.

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:01 AM
  • Thats not the point. I am talking about thumbnails that represent the content of the document.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 12:48 PM