Start menu grid animation RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way possible that the animation used in the Windows 8 start menu can be used in my app? My app contains GridView Items and I wondered if this could be implemented using Visual Basic.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:23 PM

Answers

• The fade-in effect of the startmenu is an EntranceThemeTransition with IsStaggerEnabled. You can try out some different settings for the GridView that hosts your items, like this:

<GridView.ItemContainerTransitions>
      <TransitionCollection>
        <EntranceThemeTransition FromHorizontalOffset="100" IsStaggeringEnabled="True"/>
       </TransitionCollection>
    </GridView.ItemContainerTransitions>

• Marked as answer by m.findlay93 Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:54 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please offer me more information about what is the specific animation you would like to apply for the GridView control? And I think the following links should be very helpful for you:

Quickstart: animating your UI: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh452703.aspx
    Animations sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Personality-Animations-3f857919 

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:07 AM
  • I assume you're referring to the Tilt effect. That can be found in the Callisto framework. You don't have to translate it to VB.NET: just make a reference to the assembly, and use the effect in XAML, like this:

<Border Background="Green" callistoEffects:Tilt.IsTiltEnabled="True">
       <TextBlock Text="Tap me" />
    </Border>

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:24 AM
  • I'm a total beginner and visual learner therefore I don't know how to do this. Just so you know, I've already created GridView items and I don't want to delete them in order to create the code again. I'm talking about the effect that can be seen when a user first logs in  on Windows 8 then afterwards the Start page is the first thing that the user sees.
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:36 AM
  • The fade-in effect of the startmenu is an EntranceThemeTransition with IsStaggerEnabled. You can try out some different settings for the GridView that hosts your items, like this:

<GridView.ItemContainerTransitions>
      <TransitionCollection>
        <EntranceThemeTransition FromHorizontalOffset="100" IsStaggeringEnabled="True"/>
       </TransitionCollection>
    </GridView.ItemContainerTransitions>

• Marked as answer by m.findlay93 Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:54 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:25 AM
  • I'm not if that's the right one. Whe the start page appears the tiles fly in, not fade and move from the right.
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:01 AM
  • I'm talking about the start menu animation which is seen when a user logs in to their Windows 8 computer
    Friday, December 7, 2012 8:11 PM