VS Express vs. VSS RRS feed

• Question

• Can you connect to Visual SourceSafe 2005 with VS 2005 Express?

If so, can you use internet plug-in?

Thursday, January 26, 2006 6:46 PM

Answers

• while you cannot use VSS from inside VS Express you can of course use them side by side without problems (check in and check out your sources outside VS Express and use them in it).
    Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:19 AM

All replies

• I have not seen any sourcecontrol support. It can not be added through add-ins as that feature is not included in the express editions.

Source control is good but it will have to be done by an external application.

It would have been a really good feature so people learn how to use it, help to keep backup and to experiement a bit to later rollback if it didn't work as planned.

I guess this is so there is a reason to upgrade to full VS2005.

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:05 PM
  •  

One of the solutions that I have used in the past is the workspaces on www.gotdotnet.com, although it does not intergrate into the express package the clients you can get are good.

Maybe having the client for the gotdotnet workspaces inside the Express products might be a good idea, help to promote both products.

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:33 PM
  • while you cannot use VSS from inside VS Express you can of course use them side by side without problems (check in and check out your sources outside VS Express and use them in it).
    Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:19 AM