Learning VBA for excel 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Hope that someone can point me in the right direction here. I`m a newbie in programing and would really like to learn programing in VBA. 

I have started to use excel quite a lot in my daily work and that have started to get me interesting in learning more and more about this whole thing with more advanced features and programing in general.

I don`t have any specific needs at this point in time. Just want to learn from the beginning and develop skills of using the VBA functions of excel for my future projects.

Best regards 

Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Explorer999

I learned from the Excel 2007 edition of Julitta Korol's Excel Programming by Example.  The latest is Excel 2016 Programming By Example with VBA, XML and ASP.  Despite the title, it is primarily a VBA book.  It is very thick, very comprehensive and very expensive, but if you can stick with it you will end up with a good knowledge of Excel VBA.  For something lighter, Excel VBA Programming for Dummies gives a good foundation but is not so good as a work of reference when things get complicated.  I would caution against the Microsoft published book Excel Visual Basic for Applications, which I found rather confusing in the initial stages.

Having said that, the best way to learn once you have the basic idea is to set yourself a task and when you get stuck put the question into Google.  You will find at least half a dozen very good forums where someone will have asked the same question before.

Good luck

Andy C

• Proposed as answer by Chenchen Li Wednesday, November 1, 2017 1:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Explorer999 Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:28 AM
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:00 PM
  • Hello,

To learn VBA for Excel, you could get started from macro recording. Please visit Quick start: Create a macro. After getting the recorded macro, you could check its object model then, learn related methods or properties from Object model (Excel VBA reference) and modify them based on your requirement.

The following links might be helpful:

Getting Started with VBA in Office: Provides insight into how VBA programming can help to customize Office solutions.

Getting Started with VBA in Excel 2010: Instructions on how to access VBA in Excel 2010, a detailed explanation of a solution to a real-world Excel VBA programming problem, and tips on programming and debugging

What's New for VBA in Office 2016: Lists the new VBA language elements for Office 2016.

If you have any issues when developing with Office Object Model, please feel free to post threads on this forum.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Explorer999 Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:29 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Explorer999

I learned from the Excel 2007 edition of Julitta Korol's Excel Programming by Example.  The latest is Excel 2016 Programming By Example with VBA, XML and ASP.  Despite the title, it is primarily a VBA book.  It is very thick, very comprehensive and very expensive, but if you can stick with it you will end up with a good knowledge of Excel VBA.  For something lighter, Excel VBA Programming for Dummies gives a good foundation but is not so good as a work of reference when things get complicated.  I would caution against the Microsoft published book Excel Visual Basic for Applications, which I found rather confusing in the initial stages.

Having said that, the best way to learn once you have the basic idea is to set yourself a task and when you get stuck put the question into Google.  You will find at least half a dozen very good forums where someone will have asked the same question before.

Good luck

Andy C

• Marked as answer by Explorer999 Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:28 AM
    Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:00 PM
  • Hello,

To learn VBA for Excel, you could get started from macro recording. Please visit Quick start: Create a macro. After getting the recorded macro, you could check its object model then, learn related methods or properties from Object model (Excel VBA reference) and modify them based on your requirement.

The following links might be helpful:

Getting Started with VBA in Office: Provides insight into how VBA programming can help to customize Office solutions.

Getting Started with VBA in Excel 2010: Instructions on how to access VBA in Excel 2010, a detailed explanation of a solution to a real-world Excel VBA programming problem, and tips on programming and debugging

What's New for VBA in Office 2016: Lists the new VBA language elements for Office 2016.

If you have any issues when developing with Office Object Model, please feel free to post threads on this forum.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Explorer999 Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:29 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 2:31 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you very much for your help and your suggested ways of support to help me get started with my learnings.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 8:29 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you very much for your help and your suggested ways of support to help me get started with my learnings.

Hello,

I suggest you mark helpful posts as answer to close this thread. If you have any new issues when using VBA for Excel, please feel free to post new threads on this forum.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 20, 2017 1:41 AM