none
View Access to Projects in MS Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to grant view access to a project to all the users added to the Project Team using Build Team option in Ms Project Server 2010. However, View access is granted to a project for users only when project tasks are assigned to users.

I am looking for a solution to grant View access to all the team members of a Project. Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 2:58 PM

Answers

• Abhijit,

This is a category permissions  setting. The user does not need to be assigned to a task, but the project does need to be published after adding somebody to the team for them to be able to see the project.

As a test, do this:

1) Create a new category called My Read-Only Projects

2) Set the Category to select to show projects, where the setting is <label accesskey="?" for="idChkProjectsTeam">The User is on that project's Project Team, also select couple of views for this category</label>

<label accesskey="?" for="idChkProjectsTeam">3) Now you could either add this category to an existing Secueiy group or Create a Security Group called "Read-Only Projects Group" and </label><label accesskey="?" for="idChkProjectsTeam" style="font-size:0.75em;line-height:1.5;">Add the </label>My Read-Only Projects category to this group,

4) and for the category permissions select the following:

View Project Schedule in Project Web App   
     View Project Site   
     View Project Summary in Project Center

Open project

5) and finally add the user you are testing with to this group.

That should give you want you want.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Abhijit PS Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:14 PM

All replies

• Abhijit,

This is a category permissions  setting. The user does not need to be assigned to a task, but the project does need to be published after adding somebody to the team for them to be able to see the project.

As a test, do this:

1) Create a new category called My Read-Only Projects

2) Set the Category to select to show projects, where the setting is <label accesskey="?" for="idChkProjectsTeam">The User is on that project's Project Team, also select couple of views for this category</label>

<label accesskey="?" for="idChkProjectsTeam">3) Now you could either add this category to an existing Secueiy group or Create a Security Group called "Read-Only Projects Group" and </label><label accesskey="?" for="idChkProjectsTeam" style="font-size:0.75em;line-height:1.5;">Add the </label>My Read-Only Projects category to this group,

4) and for the category permissions select the following:

View Project Schedule in Project Web App   
     View Project Site   
     View Project Summary in Project Center

Open project

5) and finally add the user you are testing with to this group.

That should give you want you want.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by Abhijit PS Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Let me add to Prasanna's excellent answer just to give you a reference with a post from Treb about security:

"If a team member is on the Project team but is not assigned work, they are placed in the Viewer (Read only) role on the Team Site by Project Server. If the team member is assigned to a task, they are promoted to Contributor role on the site, where they can make changes to documents and lists. This permissions synchronization between Project Server and the Project Team Site occurs every time the project is published."

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Thanks. This helped solve the issue.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:46 AM