none
Armored Assault LAN game Release! Need testers! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello All!

I just completed my first version of Armored Assault. I now need Tester/ debuggers to hit it up :D

I was especially hoping for Gotoloop and/or Litdev to look it over and see if they can optimize it and get the thing to run smoother.

Game includes

• five unique weapons to select from
    • scroller ability for large maps
    • username selection a customization
    • and much more!

Here is a compiled video of me and some friends playing it: link

Here is the download: link

Even If you don't like it, Please comment!!! I want feedback :D

EDIT: I thought I'd add some pictures here too.

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

• Edited by Zock77Editor Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:02 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:16 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Nice demo. Will check game out soon.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Thanks!

Also, I have no idea if it works online. So maybe I could host a server for you to try to get in?

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Zock. Awesome UI.

A small query, can you unselect weapon to choose another?

Big query: What is the security like on the network hookup?

Is there / can there be an option to play stand alone without joining network? Excuse my nOObie phobia.

The GUI's look absolutely amazing. Worth a look.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Thanks for posting!

Of your three questions, I only understand one of them :oops: (sorry bout that)

So far there is no way of playing without joining a game but I'm working on a campaign setting :)

As for the other two, what exactly do you mean by security? what type?

And for the small query, Why would you need to unselect a weapon? You just select the "Use" button, and then that is the weapon that you are using.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• Edited by Zock77Editor Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Security: I don't really know much about it that's why I asked.

I just retried the weapon thing, my mistake.

I'll give the host/client thing a go soon.

thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:29 PM
  • Security against what? Like someone hacking your PC though my program? There isn't a chance of that :D. I am using the IO extension with the IOTCPServer and IOTCPClient so I would ask gungan if there was any danger.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Zock. Good to know. Excuse my nOObiness.

Will get back to you re what I think of the game.

Of course my 1st weapon of choice will be "Homing Missile". I hope they're loaded with some dramatic warheads.

Cheers

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:02 AM
  • What time zone are you in? I would like to try an internet connection to see if it would work.

@ Everyone else. Have any of you seen this? Please comment!!!

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Zock.

I just tried Join server, hit the refresh button. No response. The list was empty.

Have you tried this with your friends?

It might be easier for you test it with some someone in the same room.

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Well the problem with doing it with someone in the same room is that we have the same internet connection.

The reason that you couldn't see my server is because I didn't have it hosted :D I was waiting to see what time I should host.

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:58 AM
    Answerer
  • I caught up with work atm.

re same room: mobile broadband should work for the client, like a pocket wifi. Or tethering to a mobile phone.

Friday, February 21, 2014 5:18 AM
  • Ahh. I will see what I can do there.

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Whats with only one person commenting? I don't bite! :D

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Removed my mistake. All the Source code is in the zip. Sorry about that.
    Friday, February 21, 2014 7:28 PM
  • Perhaps you need some guide to setting it up as a network game.  There are lots of files and exe and maybe not clear how to use it, whether it can be played without network, or only on a LAN with server and client running or over internet.  Can it be run directly from SB interface etc.

For example if I run Armored Assault.sb from SB interface, I get asked for server name (not sure what to put here).  The game then fires up and I can move and fire, but not sure what to do next.  I can start another instance and join (on same PC) but then it crashes - I expect I am doing it wrong.

The graphics are great and the intro screens look really nice, perhaps just needs some basic getting started guide and something on the game objectives.

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:36 PM
  • So you think that people might suspect my program of hacking their PC?

Completely understandable.

I think that what might be the solution of this problem is to post the code to my game here so people can sift through it before they download. So without further ado, I shall commence to post the code.

And thanks for bringing this up. :D

Menu code: BZR072

Server code: QBZ392

Client code: LDZ295

Username code: VHX642

I Assure everyone that in making this game I meant no malcontent, Just to have fun making it.

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Same again. Removed my mistake.

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Perhaps you need some guide to setting it up as a network game.  There are lots of files and exe and maybe not clear how to use it, whether it can be played without network, or only on a LAN with server and client running or over internet.  Can it be run directly from SB interface etc.

For example if I run Armored Assault.sb from SB interface, I get asked for server name (not sure what to put here).  The game then fires up and I can move and fire, but not sure what to do next.  I can start another instance and join (on same PC) but then it crashes - I expect I am doing it wrong.

The graphics are great and the intro screens look really nice, perhaps just needs some basic getting started guide and something on the game objectives.

Ahh. I was not aware of that being an issue. I guess since I wrote it, it all seemed pretty clear to me :D

Thanks for the tip, I shall work on a Readme or something of the sort.

As you probably know, you posted your post while I was writing mine. so that's why you seemed Ignored :)

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey Zock. Sorry.

I just realised all the source code was in the Zip.

Very Sorry about that.

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Don't worry about it, Its fine :D

• Edited by Zock77Editor Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:19 AM
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Zock. I learnt something that's for sure.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:27 AM
  • So in your guys opinion, What does it need most? A singleplayer option or a Readme?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Zock. Can you turn your server on and i'll give it a test.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:56 AM
  • I just tried to join and got connection failed message.

It had another player listed, steve, so server must have been running.

RE: above, I like single player option as well with a leaders board.

I just tried the host option and got the game running. Very nice.

I'll run a bit more tonight and get back to you.

you can email me on.... did you get my email address?

• Edited by Jibba jModerator Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:20 AM removed email address
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Um...

I just checked and that server wasn't actually there. Its kinda the biggest bug in my code that I don't quite know how to fix. Right now, what is supposed to happen is when you close the program, it erases the server that you put on from the list. But that means that if you close it with TaskManager or something, It just stays on.

And steve was the server name, not the players (I gotta add that feature) :D

And no, I didn't get your email address. So just email me here at:

Sean at clansullivan dot com

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:21 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Zock, re optimisation. In general.

Just had a quick peak at your code. My thoughts on optimising are: it's really important especially if the game runs for a while and/or you plan on adding levels etc.

I'm trying to do it as I code. So I unit test a loop everytime I'm about to add one to the game for moving and using stuff for example.

For me the big one's are:

1. Only loop thru what you have to, i.e. what's on the screen. I find this requires a bit of effort and testing as you go.

For I = first To last,  update both first and last as things leave the screen and things come onto the screen.

2. Easy to do, Remove Shapes when not using.

3. Easy to forget: deleting Arrays. Arrays can just keep building up when values are added to them in loops. I'm getting in the habit of deleting them as soon as I'm finished with that particular indexed value.

While gameLoop

For I = start to finish

arr[I] = I * something

if finished using then

arr[I] = ""

4. When I test something I exaggerated it and time it. The results can be quite revealing
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Hi Zock, re optimisation. In general.

Just had a quick peak at your code. My thoughts on optimising are: it's really important especially if the game runs for a while and/or you plan on adding levels etc.

Okay, so do you think I need to optimize it?

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:56 PM
    Answerer