none
Impersonation : How use two impersonations "at the same time" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing a copy system. One of the feature is read a file on a server with a specific Windows identity and write on another one with another identity.

One of the way I found is :

* Impersonate the code that reads the file and write a local temporary file

* Impersonate the code that writes the file from the local temporary file

What I want to do is read the file byte by byte (or block of bytes) with a specific identity and write on another share folder with another identity.

Can I keep the identity context to execute some code, or do I have to undo the impersonation between each call ?

The final code looks like : fileSource.BeginCopy(fileDestination.WriteBufferCallback, doneAutoResetEvent);

The BeginCopy must be executed with an identity and the Write under another one.

Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:37 PM

Answers

• You can only do what you want if you have 2 threads.  A single thread can only have one identity, but if you know multithreading programming then you can share the data buffer with a writing thread running using a different identity.  The actual details on buffer sharing would be your choice (syncrhonized buffer or heap buffers queued for writing would be my two choices).

Jose R. MCP
    Code Samples

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:12 PM

All replies

• You can only do what you want if you have 2 threads.  A single thread can only have one identity, but if you know multithreading programming then you can share the data buffer with a writing thread running using a different identity.  The actual details on buffer sharing would be your choice (syncrhonized buffer or heap buffers queued for writing would be my two choices).

Jose R. MCP
    Code Samples

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Thank you.

I'll do what you advise.

Sebastien

Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:38 AM