none
MS Project - Masterfile changes dates when braking the links to subprojects RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All,

    could someone help me out here, please? I got a request from a client to generate snapshots (on weekly basis) about every ongoing project we are currently running. As they would like to see the result in Gantt chart view and use some related features of it, preparing a Masterfile would be the easiest solution.

    The Masterfile should be unlinked to the subprojects, which seems to be an easy adjustment. For this I double-click on the linked subproject, go to tab "Advanced" and uncheck the option "Link to project". After this step I experience an unsolvable effect, as dating information (as well as Duration) changes, Start Date of the certain project will be aligned to Start Date of the Master Schedule. It is even more strange that in case of some plans date information remains the same as it is in the individual plan, so this symptom seems to appear randomly (every linked schedule have been built up on the same template, so I'm not aware of any differences). Have some of you ever experienced any similar thing? If so, could you please share the resolution with me?

    Thank you in advance!

    Thursday, June 8, 2017 10:03 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi,

    I used to experience odd behavior while changing link options after the master file has been created. I'd rather suggest to start a new master project and insert the sub-projects unchecking the option "link to project". This might be tedious since you'd have to do that every week but it might be more robust.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

    Thursday, June 8, 2017 10:14 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    thank you for your answer. I tried to insert it without linking it to the individual file. Unfortunately the result is the same. Dates change as the file is being inserted.:-(

    Thursday, June 8, 2017 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

    in the meantime I figured out, that this behaviour cames up only in case of projects with 0% progress. It seems to be working if I set anything "Ongoing". Mystery solved.:-)

    Thank you again for the answer!


    Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Szammer,

    No mystery here, all you have to do is think about what is happening when you insert an unlinked subproject into a master file. If the start dates of the master and all subprojects are exactly the same, none of the subproject tasks will move (i.e. no dates will change). However, if the master has a different start date from any of the subprojects, (and that is often the case since the subprojects already exist but the new master will by default get a start date of the date it was created), any tasks in the subprojects that are not constrained, (i.e. no predecessor or not started), will move to the master project's start date since their default constraint is "as soon as possible".

    Hope this helps.

    John

    Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:09 PM