Timeout error while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake RRS feed

• Question

• We're are experiencing isolated issues where our .NET application is failing to connect to a remote SQL server database with the following error:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=14672; handshake=13498;  ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out

The SQL server is SQL Server 2008 R2, and is configured for Named Pipes and TCP/IP.   On some client machines we are able to connect without issues.  On others, we're only able to connect if we disable Named Pipes.

I am not clear on what client environment settings, software, etc... would cause this error to occur.  Any help in understanding this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:30 PM

All replies

• Hi alrusso,

Based on my research, the error commonly occurs in the following possibilities:

1. An instance of the SQL Server Database Engine is not running.
    2. The SQL Server Browser service is not running.
    3. The TCP/IP is disabled.
    4. The server name was typed incorrectly.
    5. There are network problems.
    6. The TCP/IP port for the Database Engine instance is blocked by a firewall.
    7. The client and server are not configured to use the same network protocol. 

Then for the solutions, please refer to following articles:

https://blog.devoworx.net/2017/01/30/connection-timeout-expired-pre-login-handshake/ 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84b08d13-ca15-4295-bf10-3a6f195fcf35/sql-server-prelogin-handshake?forum=sqldatabaseengine 

Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Xi Jin Monday, November 13, 2017 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:58 AM
  • We had a situation where our sql server, a vm, went down with the ESX host it was on. The vm rebooted, but TCP 1433 would not let us connect with the posted error. We confirmed that all TCP settings were as intended in SQL Server Configuration, but ultimately the resolution was to change the IP of the server. Weird right? My only thought is that something at the VMWare level was causing traffic to be dropped, but had no view into that platform as it was in the 'cloud.' I don't know if is useful, but I hope someday it helps someone else. Other notes are that SQL started fine, nothing in error log, with agent disabled we could access sql via pipes and ups 1434.
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Same issue hear but resolved it by adding following apps to the Windows Firewall

sqlbrowser.exe and sqlservr.exe

and granted domain and private network traffic.

• Proposed as answer by Riaon Friday, March 13, 2020 8:21 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 6:21 PM
  • Thank you!
    Sunday, November 3, 2019 8:41 AM