Architecture Scale RRS feed

• General discussion

• Background
    I am working at a State Agency that has about 50 IT personnel, only about 10 are .net developers.  The level of developer varies from very junior to a couple of senior developers. The agency has about 600 employees and each application supports about 50 employees.  The agency currently has about 20 applications about a third are in .net in-house developed, a third are purchased, and the other third are a mix of mainframe, access and VB.  The agency has Web, Client Server and a couple of n-tier applications. Some applications have to have remote capabilities. 

Recently we have been discussing implementing an Enterprise Architecture standard. The discusions have been focused on implementing an SOA/ESB architecture.   I can see the value for centralized components for Data Access, Security, Messaging, and Document Management functionality which all in-house applications have to implement.  The Architect is suggesting that all applications should live on applications servers and be SOA.  This would involve highly scalable, fault tolerent, highly available infrastructure.

My question are:
          Is this agency large enough to support and maintain this level of Architecture?
          Where is the line between Application Architect and Enterprise Architecture?

Any suggestions and or readings would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:22 PM

All replies

• I don't think that size is the determining factor for this type of decision.

Rather:

- How critical is up-time? Could the applications be down for several hours, or do you need 100% up time? How many of the apps require this level of up time?

- Do the applications need to communicate with each other? Or are many of them independent and don't need to interact with any of the other applications?

- Do the applications already share a common database? Or do they communicate in a different way.

- Are the databases backed up on a regular basis? Is there risk in loss data currently?

- SOA was *the* answer a few years ago and everyone everywhere felt they needed to do it. Recently, there has been quite a bit of backing away from this in cases where it just does not make sense.

Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:09 PM