TFS 2010 to TFS 2010 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We need to migrate only source code(with History) from one TFS server to another TFS server.

This Source code is spread across multiple Team Projects & they need to be migrated to One single Team Project in the new server(target server). Both the Source & Target servers use TFS 2010.

Any suggestions please..?

Thanks.

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Newbie,

With full fidelity of everything the only way to move from one server to another is with a migration.  This, however will not let you join projects together.

You could try to get fancy with the TFS Integration Platform (download from Codeplex) but you lose some information in the transfer around history as it does a playback under the account of the migration user.  Further, joining multiple projects together should work from a work item perspective, but doing that to code will give you nightmares if there is any overlap in the codebase.

If I had to do this, I would call a code freeze and branch the code to make sure you have a very clear historical demarcation point.  I would bring up the new server and use the integration platform to migrate the work items only.  The I would bring the code over and deal with any reference/ structure issues.  At that point you're fine going forward, but you'll need to keep the old system around (I'd snapshot to a VM and then take it offline) for historical purposes.

That is probably about as close to your objective as you're going to get.

Good luck,

Ryan Hanisco, PMP, PMI-ACP, CISSP
    MCSE, MCTS:TFS 2010, SQL 2005
    RyanHanisco.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:59 AM