Development preview download

Question

• I completed a successful download of the window 8 Development preview, and after tweeking and browsing the OS, I found it to be impressive, but there is one fatal flaw with this download, and that is, during the installation, there is a menu that has a non-delete or uncheck feature stating the word " remove " relating to totally deleting all your previous OS ( windows 7 ) operating system. The phrase is very misleading, as I would not have continued if I new this would be a new install and the installation did not provide a " Old Windows " file in the new OS. There needs to be a option offered, as when you click on the clear button for this option, nothing happens and thus so, I lost everything in my windows & and all contents. I did not have a back up, and that is totally my fault. I did attempt to install the development preview to a virtual drive as an iso. but it did not work...
    John Haskins
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:57 PM

All replies

• Please use this forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/threads

Since I have not gotten the moderator permission in this forum, so cannot help you to move this thread, so please create new thread there.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice weekend!

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Saturday, December 03, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Hi Manish,

I got the moderator permission, and moved your thread to this Windows 8 forum, the engineers here will show you more quick and expert helps.

Have a good day!

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 05, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi Jhaskins75,

I do hope you have your Windows7 disk or a Recovery Partition on your drive with which to get back your Windows7, or you may have to contact the manufacturer of your PC.

Obviously, you should have chosen the Custom install and Advanced button while installing to get to select the drive on which to install your WDP.'A clean install is supported on all builds, but you can upgrade if you are installing a download without the developer tools. You will receive the full set of migration options when setup is launched in Windows. To dual-boot, you must first boot from media and choose an alternative partition'.

Irfan
    Monday, December 05, 2011 12:33 PM