Version of Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

So far I've been using Windows 8.1 Preview. I've got both Visual Studio Express for Windows 8 and for Windows Desktop. 

My laptop came with Windows 7 Professional and I have the installation disk for it. Is it best I get Windows 8.1 Professional, rather than the basic version? Would Windows 8.1 Professional be good enough if, in the future, I buy a paid version of Visual Studio?

I've got a couple of gift vouchers I should be able to use to buy the upgrade version of Windows 8.1 Professional. 

I completed my bachelor degree this year and I'm now getting up to speed with C# in .NET for Desktop and Windows Store apps.

Thanks

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:33 PM

Answers

• No, if you mean advantage, then of course the pro version is more advanced. Whether it worth the price tag is entirely up to you (like your salary, your other needs ike housing, food, kids). Nobody can make that decision for you, everyone valuate things differently.

That advantage information is easily available when you search (using keywords like difference between windows 8 pro) or ask on the correct forum. Adding a programming need does not change the Windows edition comparison in any way. Like most programs, Visual Studio support all desktop editions of Windows.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• "good enough" is a relative term, you need to compare to something to declare that.

And that something has nothing to do with C# the language. If you need suggestions on comparing Windows editions, visit the windows forums on answers.microsoft.com.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Sorry. I assumed it was obvious I was asking for advice on which version of Windows best suits somebody who is learning to program in C# with Visual Studio. Maybe a basic few points on what I can and can't do with using Visual Studio Express (for example) on Windows 8.1 Professional.

I'm trying to learn to program in C# so I can develop Windows Store Apps as well as Desktop Apps. 

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Adding C# to your question means nothing. What you can do in C#, you can do in basically any computer language (e.g. java, C++, VB.Net). It is asking an English or German expert if it is OK to buy a math book for your class - that would be irrelevant to the expert although the expert may have learned some high school math, or even college. The fastest way is to just download the trial version of Windows and Visual Studio and test by yourself.

There isn't any difference from Visual Studio Express - it installs the same binary on any Windows edition - any difference must come from Windows. So if you can's use a feature, you can't debug code that calls the API of the feature. But what API you call is entirely up to you. Programmers usually have support for all Windows editions, not just Windows Pro, so the API set they use are usually limited to what Windows Home can offer. 

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:15 PM
  • So, can't you just tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using Windows 8.1 Professional while programming in C#? It's a simple question I'm asking.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 4:20 PM
  • No, if you mean advantage, then of course the pro version is more advanced. Whether it worth the price tag is entirely up to you (like your salary, your other needs ike housing, food, kids). Nobody can make that decision for you, everyone valuate things differently.

That advantage information is easily available when you search (using keywords like difference between windows 8 pro) or ask on the correct forum. Adding a programming need does not change the Windows edition comparison in any way. Like most programs, Visual Studio support all desktop editions of Windows.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thank you.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 4:59 PM