How to know how much bandwidth do I need to setup Mirroring? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to setup synchronous database mirroring between an existing production database and a new mirror database on another data center ... just one primary and one mirror on different data centers.

I've asked for the requirements, but the network guy replied: "how much bandwidth do you need?" ... I'm not sure how to get that? will finding how much (in size) the database is writing to its transactional log file will answer?!

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:37 AM

Answers

• Thanks, but the link you've posted shows how to monitor after setting up the mirroring, which is great!

But they need to know what bandwidth is required before I setup mirroring!

You don't have any formula to calculate it before hand. You have to see how much logs are getting generated and based on that you will be able to give correct recommendation.

Edit: Before configuring mirroring look at transaction logs getting generated , you can look at sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats to get how much transaction log is getting generated for particular period. This DMV gives cumulative value so run it twice with timestamp to know the difference. The column you should look is "Number_of_bytes_written"

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, May 23, 2016 10:07 AM

All replies

• Please go through below support article it will help you

Things to consider when setting up database mirroring in SQL Server.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Thanks, but the link you've posted shows how to monitor after setting up the mirroring, which is great!

• Edited by Butmah Monday, May 23, 2016 10:04 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 10:04 AM

You don't have any formula to calculate it before hand. You have to see how much logs are getting generated and based on that you will be able to give correct recommendation.

Edit: Before configuring mirroring look at transaction logs getting generated , you can look at sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats to get how much transaction log is getting generated for particular period. This DMV gives cumulative value so run it twice with timestamp to know the difference. The column you should look is "Number_of_bytes_written"

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, May 23, 2016 10:07 AM