none
custom gui designer using WPF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am targetting VS2010/VS2012 and  I would like to create a simple gui editor for a custom gui framework. I already have a standalone wpf application and now I would like to integrate it inside a VS add-in. Is is still necessary with VS2010 to embedd WPF using a winform ElementHost ?

Do you have any minimal sample code that show a hello world window written in wpf ?

Thanks

Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

A VS add-in, and a VS Package are two different types of extension. If you are looking to implement a custom designer, then you will need to implmenet a VS Package.

You no longer have to host WPF content in an ElementHost. Since VS 2010, the core IDE was implemented with WPF, and the Managed Package Framework and Shell classes will allow you use WPF or WinForms.

As you wish to target "both" VS 2010 and VS 2012, you will want to build your project using VS 2010 (packages built with VS 2012 cannot typically be targeted downlevel).

The VS 2010 SDK Samples download, contains a good number of useful samples that you may find useful. I would encourage you to download, build and experiment with the "VSSDK IDE Sample Editor with Toolbox", and the "Designer View Over XML Editor", which are a couple of custom editor/designer samples.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Vincent,

I found a reference about How to: Create an Add-In That Is a UI:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb909887.aspx

I guess that it is what you want.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 8, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Don"t think it has to do with Visual Studio Extension. I am talking about Visual Studio and I am not searching for a tutorial about implementing a plugin system in wpf (at least this is what I understand from your link).
    Friday, March 8, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

I guess that you just want to create a custom editor which support gui programming.

If yes, I think you can refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd885240.aspx

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

A VS add-in, and a VS Package are two different types of extension. If you are looking to implement a custom designer, then you will need to implmenet a VS Package.

You no longer have to host WPF content in an ElementHost. Since VS 2010, the core IDE was implemented with WPF, and the Managed Package Framework and Shell classes will allow you use WPF or WinForms.

As you wish to target "both" VS 2010 and VS 2012, you will want to build your project using VS 2010 (packages built with VS 2012 cannot typically be targeted downlevel).

The VS 2010 SDK Samples download, contains a good number of useful samples that you may find useful. I would encourage you to download, build and experiment with the "VSSDK IDE Sample Editor with Toolbox", and the "Designer View Over XML Editor", which are a couple of custom editor/designer samples.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:43 PM