Handling rotation during video playback RRS feed

• Question

• User11701 posted

I'm writing an iOS application for a client who wants a video splash screen - basically a 5 second clip to be played full screen when the application first starts, fading to the default navigation view. That's all fine - I've hooked up the MPMoviePlayerController and it seems to work .... Ok'ish.

The client has provided the clip in a Landscape format - but when the app is started in Portrait mode (which it will be 95% of the time I expect) the clip is scaled to the device width and therefore it's now too short, i.e. not really full screen.

Now I can request a Portrait view of the clip but I'm wondering what to do should the user rotate the device during playback - it's only 5 seconds but you know it's going to happen. Also, what if the user does start the app in Landscape mode? Is it good practice to include both versions of the clip (I'm thinking about file size here).

My thoughts are to only use a Portrait version of the clip and restrict the view to that orientation for the duration of the clip - they can rotate the device all they like when the main screen is displayed.

Any guidance regarding the playing of video clips would be appreciated - I'm fairly new to iOS, working mainly on the Android platform.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:15 AM

Answers

• User181 posted

It is not uncommon for video clips to start letterboxed until the user rotates the device, but I f it's a short clip it might make sense to either force the orientation to be landscape right away or to adapt the video to fit the most likely orientation.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:56 PM

All replies

• User181 posted

It is not uncommon for video clips to start letterboxed until the user rotates the device, but I f it's a short clip it might make sense to either force the orientation to be landscape right away or to adapt the video to fit the most likely orientation.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:56 PM
  • User11701 posted

That's what I'm thinking and what I'll suggest to the client - for 3 - 5 seconds I don't want to end up with a coding headache in case someone rotates the phone.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 5:20 PM