none
Menu on Add-Ins Ribbon Changes When Additional New Documents are Opened RRS feed

• Question

• HELP!  I'm using a Word 2003 template (which has ONE toolbar) as an Add-In in Word 2010.  On this toolbar is a large custom menu that was used in 2003 (the 2003 Menu).

As I was customizing Word 2010 I revised the 2003 Menu (in Word 2003) to remove those menu items for which a custom tab had been created in 2010.  Now, when I first open Word 2010 the 2003 Menu on the Add-Ins tab is the correct/current version.  If a close Document 1 and open a new blank document window the 2003 Menu is still correct.  But, if I have Document 1 (with the correct 2003 Menu) open and open additional blank documents or existing documents the 2003 Menu changes to the prior version on all.  I cannot locate where this prior version is coming from.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where this phantom menu is coming from?  Or do I need to reset all customizations in Word 2010 and then re-import the Word Customizations.exportedUI file.

P.S.  I have Word 2003 installed on my computer and am remote connected to the computer that has Word 2010 installed.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Shirley M. Barsan

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your reply.

In the long term, I would not recommend using a .dot in the Startup folder as a way to maintain a legacy custom menu that calls macros in other templates. Instead, I’d add custom ribbon xml in one or more .dotm files in which to add a new group to an existing Word ribbon tab or create a custom ribbon tab from which to add calls to your macros.

Below are some links to resources on customizing the ribbon in Office 2007/2010 applications.

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338202.aspx

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 2 of 3)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338199.aspx

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 3 of 3)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa722523.aspx

Word Customization (topics provided by Word MVPs – see the first topic Customizing the Ribbon)

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization.htm

However, to troubleshoot your existing scenario, please try the following:

1. On your Word 2003 machine, open your original Word 2003 .dot template, then customize the toolbar items the way you’ll want to use them in Word 2010.
    2. On the Word 2010 machine, exit Word 2010, then move all the templates in the Startup to another folder (we'll move them back later).
    3. Start Word 2010 and verify whether you have an Add-Ins tab displaying. There should not be an Add-ins tab, but if there is, verify whether it’s displaying any commands. If there are any of your old Word 2003 commands present, then right-click on them one at a time and choose “Delete Custom Command”; then click Yes.
    4. Exit Word 2010.
    5. Move the .dot template from Word 2003 to the Word 2010 machine’s Word Startup folder.
    6. Start Word 2010; then click the Add-Ins tab and verify whether your Word 2003 toolbar commands display as expected in the Add-Ins tab.
    7. If the commands display as expected, then exit Word 2010 again and move the rest of the .dotm templates back into the Startup folder.

Regards,

Bill Go - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:34 AM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 11:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Shirley,

Thank you for posting. 

I will help you involve others to help you. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, April 9, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Hi Shirley,

Some follow up questions:

Did you convert the Word 2003 .dot to .dotm in the Word 2010 environment?

What does the custom template contain: Macros? Autotext? Styles?

What type of commands are on the “large custom menu”? Macros?
    Autotext? Styles?

What items did you add to a custom tab in the Word 2010 ribbon?

Regards,

Bill

Bill Go - MSFT

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:47 AM
    Answerer
  • Good morning, and THANK YOU for your assistance with this problem.

The Word 2003 Add-Ins template is still a 2003 .dot template because I'm continuing to edit it (remove items) in Word 2003 as I create additional custom tabs in Word 2010.

There are no macros or Autotext saved in the Word 2003 Addin-Ins template that contains the 2003 toolbar with custom menu, but the template does contain styles acquired from the 2003 Normal.dot template.

All options on the custom menu in the Word 2003 Add-Ins template run macros, but no macros are saved in the Word 2003 Add-Ins template.  (All macros are grouped by company or department and saved in other templates, which load from the Startup folder.  Macros are temporarily saved in the Normal.dotm template when they are being developed, but are then moved to other templates.)

Some items added to 2010 custom tabs are shortcuts to frequently used Word features and some are shortcuts to frequently used macros.

Last week I created a new Normal.dotm template.  After that the 2003 custom menu was correct in all new document windows, but when I again revised the Word 2003 Add-Ins template the problem reoccurred — the previous menu would appear when new document windows were opened.  Because the problem was solved when I created a new Normal.dotm template, it appears that this prior version of the custom menu is saving in the Normal.dotm template, but where??

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

Shirley M. Barsan

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your reply.

In the long term, I would not recommend using a .dot in the Startup folder as a way to maintain a legacy custom menu that calls macros in other templates. Instead, I’d add custom ribbon xml in one or more .dotm files in which to add a new group to an existing Word ribbon tab or create a custom ribbon tab from which to add calls to your macros.

Below are some links to resources on customizing the ribbon in Office 2007/2010 applications.

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338202.aspx

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 2 of 3)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338199.aspx

Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 3 of 3)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa722523.aspx

Word Customization (topics provided by Word MVPs – see the first topic Customizing the Ribbon)

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization.htm

However, to troubleshoot your existing scenario, please try the following:

1. On your Word 2003 machine, open your original Word 2003 .dot template, then customize the toolbar items the way you’ll want to use them in Word 2010.
    2. On the Word 2010 machine, exit Word 2010, then move all the templates in the Startup to another folder (we'll move them back later).
    3. Start Word 2010 and verify whether you have an Add-Ins tab displaying. There should not be an Add-ins tab, but if there is, verify whether it’s displaying any commands. If there are any of your old Word 2003 commands present, then right-click on them one at a time and choose “Delete Custom Command”; then click Yes.
    4. Exit Word 2010.
    5. Move the .dot template from Word 2003 to the Word 2010 machine’s Word Startup folder.
    6. Start Word 2010; then click the Add-Ins tab and verify whether your Word 2003 toolbar commands display as expected in the Add-Ins tab.
    7. If the commands display as expected, then exit Word 2010 again and move the rest of the .dotm templates back into the Startup folder.

Regards,

Bill Go - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:34 AM
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 11:26 PM
    Answerer