none
[MS-PST] Table Context [TC] questions and Named Properties question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been looking at the MS-PST documentation and I have a couple of questions about TCs [2.3.4] and one question about the Named Property Lookup Map [2.4.7].

In regards to TCs, section 2.3.4 states that "The hidUserRoot of the HNHDR points to the TC header, which is allocated from the heap with HID=0x20", but in looking at several PST files I've seen it as hidUserRoot = 0x40.  I think the example of a TC in the documentation also has this as 0x40.  Is the documentation wrong and hidUserRoot for a TC should be 0x40, or is there the possibility of it being 0x20 or 0x40?  Will hidUserRoot always point to the TC Header?

In regards to the Named Property Lookup Map, can it be assumed that the Entry Stream [2.4.7.3] will always be located in a sub-node?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven, I have completed my research into this issue. The Entry Stream portion of the Named Property Lookup Map will NOT always be contained in a subnode. As with normal PCs, the Named Property Lookup Map may be small enough to have its data completely fit within the Heap Node (data block). A simple example of this is when a PST file is new. I was able to confirm that in a new PST file the Named Property Lookup Map PC was contained completely in a single data block.
    Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Monday, September 12, 2011 2:06 PM

All replies

• Steven,

Thank you for this inquiry. One of our engineers will follow-up soon.

Thanks,

Edgar

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi Steven, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I see where I made a mistake in reading about the TC in the user documentation, so I no longer have a question about that aspect of the PST documentation.

My question on the Named Property Lookup Map still stands though.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi Steven, thanks for letting me know. I will disregard your question about the hidUserRoot value.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:55 PM
  • I am looking for an update on this question.  What is the usual turn around time for an answer?
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi Steven, I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. I believe that I have the answer but I am waiting for confirmation. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Hi Steven, I have completed my research into this issue. The Entry Stream portion of the Named Property Lookup Map will NOT always be contained in a subnode. As with normal PCs, the Named Property Lookup Map may be small enough to have its data completely fit within the Heap Node (data block). A simple example of this is when a PST file is new. I was able to confirm that in a new PST file the Named Property Lookup Map PC was contained completely in a single data block.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Thanks!  This is what I figured, but I wanted to be 100% sure.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:45 PM