Displaying Bitmap on Visual Studio 2008 Splash Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am having Problem when i build and run the Integrated application sample in VS 2008 it is not showing Bitmap on Splash screen.

Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK\VisualStudioIntegration\Samples\IDE\Cpp\Reference.Package

which is passing by,

public VSL::IVsInstalledProductImpl<IDS_PROJNAME, IDS_PROJNAME, IDS_PROJNAME, IDI_PACKAGE_ICON>

and it is used for displaying product information on  Both HelpAbout dialog as well as on Splash Screen.

But Sometimes it shows only on HelpAbot dialog not on Splash Screen.

When i press F5 it shows an error message

Debugging Information for Devenv.execannot be found or Does not match.Sympbols cannot be loaded.

If any ideas please reply,

-Regards,

Shrikanth GC

Friday, April 2, 2010 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hello all,

Thanks for all your replies finally i am able to fix the issue.

Fix was setting Environmental variables for PackageUI  Project in properties settings.

especially thanks for Aaron for giving me a suggestions,

-regards,

Shrikanth GC

Thanks & regards, Shrikanth GC
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hai Srikanth,

Even if you change the environmental variable for UI Package it never gives you right solution.

Below steps must be  taken for splash screen in Visual Studio 2008
    Step 01.
        PackageUI.dll -> Solution Properties=> Build Event => Post Build Event
           change
                devenv /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup /nosetupvstemplates
            into
                "$(DevEnvDir)devenv" /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup /nosetupvstemplates
    Step 02.
            Icon size could be 16x16 and 4bit
    Step 03.
             Command Id value for package Icon must be 102.
    Step 04.
            Passing proper argument values in IVsInstalledProductImpl Wrapper class constructor.
    follow these step it will works.
    Thanks & Regards
    Karthik Guru

karthikeyan
    Monday, April 19, 2010 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Shrikanth,

You can safely ignore the error about no symbols for devenv.exe (since you're probably more interested in debugging your own code instead of devenv.exe).

I would suggest running "devenv.exe /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup" from an Elevated Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt to force the splash screen cache to rebuild itself.

In your product installer, you would need to execute a custom action to run "Devenv.exe /setup" to get your splash screen icon merged correctly.

Thanks,

Aaron

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Hi Shrikanth,

You can safely ignore the error about no symbols for devenv.exe (since you're probably more interested in debugging your own code instead of devenv.exe).

I would suggest running "devenv.exe /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup" from an Elevated Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt to force the splash screen cache to rebuild itself.

In your product installer, you would need to execute a custom action to run "Devenv.exe /setup" to get your splash screen icon merged correctly.

Thanks,

Aaron

Saturday, April 3, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your reply,

as you said i executed the command  "devenv.exe /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup" on project peoperties ->debugging ->command line

but while running it throws an error One or more components are missing please reinstall the application.

any ideass ??

thanks in advance,

Shrikanth

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Can u tell me how to add custom action to run "Devenv.exe /setup"

regards,

Shrikanth GC

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:35 AM
  • If you're creating your MSI using the WiX toolkit, there are included custom actions which can run "Devenv /setup" for you. The linked document also explains how to use them.

Thanks,

Aaron

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Have you run the "Reset Experimental Hive" command (found on the Start Menu under "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SDK").

Thanks,
    Aaron

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 3:36 PM
  • hi Aaron,

I am having problem only in displaying splash screen .

if i build my solution it shows on the Help&About  dialogue but not Splash screen.i want to display splash screen (i ran all possible commands related to Devenv ).

Note: I am Not working on MSI installer rite now(only i am Testing in my project ).

Thanks for your reply,

Shrikanth GC

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:05 AM
  • hi Aaron,

I am having problem only in displaying splash screen .

if i build my solution it shows on the Help&About  dialogue but not Splash screen.i want to display splash screen (i ran all possible commands related to Devenv ).

Note: I am Not working on MSI installer rite now(only i am Testing in my project ).

Thanks for your reply,

Shrikanth GC

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:05 AM
  • HI Aaron,

I tried all ur suggestion but it is showing only in Help& About dialog but not in the Splash Screen.

If you  have any ideas let me know..

Thanks in Advance

regards,

Shrikanth GC

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Shrikanth,

Please try deleting the (hidden) file at: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\vs000223.dat and then trying "devenv /setup" again.

There is a known issue with the splash screen cache file discussed in this thread that you may be running into : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsx/thread/022940c8-9898-4e6e-9482-640b2983c08b/

Thanks, Aaron

Friday, April 9, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

I appreciate  your patience for answering my questions. As you said i deleted the hidden file located at

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\vs000223.dat

still i am unable to fix the issue i can see only on Help & About dialog. it is not dipalying On Splash screen .

thanks & regards,

Shrikanth GC

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Hi Shrikanth,

Here are the exact steps I am doing to see the sample working:

1. Verify that the vs000223.dat file is not present under Common7\IDE.
    2. Open the Visual Studio 2008 SDK browser (shortcut on start menu as "Visual Studio 2008 SDK")
    3. Go to the Samples tab and find the "C++ Reference.Package" sample
    4. Click the "Open this Sample in Visual Studio" link
    5. Build the sample with Visual Studio
    6. From a VS 2008 Command Prompt, execute the following command: "devenv /rootsuffix Exp /ranu /setup"
    7. From a VS 2008 Command Prompt, execute the following command: "devenv /rootsuffix Exp /ranu /splash" to debug the splash screen

Following these steps, I am able to see an icon and entry for "Basic Package Sample (C++)" on the splash screen.

Are you able to get the sample working using these steps?

Thanks, Aaron

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

I am able to run the sample and it is working fine but if i follow same steps in my project it is not working only difference between those two projects are Resources.

i am trying from last two weeks still not able to see splash screen except the Help About dialog.

thanks ,

Shrikanth GC

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hello Aaron.

Some times package itself wont integrate into the Visual Studio. any ideas???

regards,

Shrikanth GC

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:49 AM
  • FYI here are my experiences with this problem

I had the same problem and eventually had to give up on this. My icon would never show on the splash screen in VS2008 (real hive). It would occasionally show up in the splash screen in the experimental hive. My VSPackage was multi-targeted to VS2005 and VS2008. The icon always worked in VS2005. No combination of deleting vs000223.dat/cleaning/rebuilding ever fixed anything for VS2008.

It finally started working when I moved away from using <UseVS2005MPF>true</UseVS2005MPF> attribute in my project file, which tells the builder to use regpkg from VS2005 SDK. Of course, you have to make plenty of other changes when you remove this attribute, so its not as simple as just removing it. But I think I narrowed down the problem to using the old regpkg.

I wonder if you are in the same situation?

-Ben

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Thanks bralston,

yes i have same issue like you, my VSPackage also multi targeted to VS2005 and Vs2008. I too will get icon Occassionally on  Experimental Hive . but i can see HelpAbout always on main Hive too

can you explain the Fix bit more please ..

regards,

Shrikanth GC

Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Hello all,

Thanks for all your replies finally i am able to fix the issue.

Fix was setting Environmental variables for PackageUI  Project in properties settings.

especially thanks for Aaron for giving me a suggestions,

-regards,

Shrikanth GC

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Shrinkanth, I'm glad that you found a fix. I do not quite understand "Fix was setting Environmental variables for PackageUI  Project in properties settings"

Could you please be more specific? Is this a change to the core MPF files? Please tell me EXACTLY what you changed.

-Ben

Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Hai Srikanth,

Even if you change the environmental variable for UI Package it never gives you right solution.

Below steps must be  taken for splash screen in Visual Studio 2008
    Step 01.
        PackageUI.dll -> Solution Properties=> Build Event => Post Build Event
           change
                devenv /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup /nosetupvstemplates
            into
                "$(DevEnvDir)devenv" /ranu /rootsuffix Exp /setup /nosetupvstemplates
    Step 02.
            Icon size could be 16x16 and 4bit
    Step 03.
             Command Id value for package Icon must be 102.
    Step 04.
            Passing proper argument values in IVsInstalledProductImpl Wrapper class constructor.
    follow these step it will works.
    Thanks & Regards
    Karthik Guru

karthikeyan
    Monday, April 19, 2010 12:19 PM