none
Windows XP WPD class filter driver question RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded Windows Media Player 11 and installed it on Windows XP to get a set of WPD class drivers installed to support the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP). After that, I pluged in Samsung Galaxy phone. The device worked without any problem. To look at PnP activities, I installed an upper class filter driver on WPD class. When the Samsung Glalxy phone is plugged in, the filter driver is attached to the top of the class driver wudfrd.sys. Now, when filter driver sees IRP_MN_START_DEVICE, filter driver passes that IRP_MN_START_DEVICE to wudfrd.sys and waits class driver wudfrd.sys returns the result of IRP_MN_START_DEVICE. Surprisingly, the filter driver sees class driver wudfrd.sys returns STATUS_DEVICE_CONFIGURATION_ERROR or 0xC0000182 from wudfrd.sys. As this result is propagated back to PnP manager by filter driver, the device doesn't work anymore. The same problem can't be seen on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Is there any limitation that Windows XP does not allow a class filter driver on WPD class or Windows XP does not suppport class filter on WPD class at all?

Any help information would be appreiated.

Thanks

David Wu

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• You are more than likely blocking or failing an Io that wudfrd requires to succeed. Btw, writing a kernel driver for a umdf stack like wpd doesn't make much sense. For wpd, you can install a umdf upper filter

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:40 PM

All replies

• You are more than likely blocking or failing an Io that wudfrd requires to succeed. Btw, writing a kernel driver for a umdf stack like wpd doesn't make much sense. For wpd, you can install a umdf upper filter

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:40 PM
  • It is really confused me that the exactly same kernel driver code doesn't show the same problem on Windows 7 and Windows 8. I understand that a umdf upfilter filter can be installed on WPD class.

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:02 PM
  • it depends on the version of UMDF. Older versions of UMDF didn't support upper KM filters.

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:45 PM
  • That makes senses. Thanks Doron.

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Hi,

A UMDF upper filter class driver for WPD is exactly what I need to do.  What is the best sample to start with?

Thanks

Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:04 PM
  • Hi Doron,

QuestionI'm interested in your previous post:

"it depends on the version of UMDF. Older versions of UMDF didn't support upper KM filters."

What version was support added.  I have a KM upper filter that works on Win7 & 8 but fails on Vista and wonder if this might be the cause.

Thanks.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Found the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560526%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

V1.9

Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:50 PM