Best way to develop a document manager project RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to develop a database driven application for an Assessment Centre.

The centre can see more than 30 candidates per day.  Currently the documents are all kept on paper in candidate files.  The documents are also scanned in "for redundancy".

The application must have the following functionality.  My current mock up of the database tables is attached.

• From inside the application, documents must be able to be scanned and "attached" on to the Result or Resource table.  I had read that it is better to save a pdf/whatever to a file system then to provide a link to this file in the database.  Each candidate will have multiple (10 or more) scans, which could be several pages on each booking, and could make multiple bookings.
    • The ability to "attach" a file from the local filesystem in the same way as above.
    • Easy sorting and finding of candidates and bookings etc (although I am aware this is easy to accomplish)
    • Multiple users must be able to access the database
    • User friendliness!

The following functionality would be advantageous:

• Ability to access the database and upload files over WAN/Internet.  The database could be cloud hosted to facilitate this, or on the company Servers.
    • Ability to view the documents for all candidates where CheckedIn = True on a tablet.  No brand loyalty here, whatever would be easiest.
    • Calendar view of availability table, where for a given day, the available slots - the slots booked is displayed.

I am trying to work out how is best to develop this application and I currently have 3 main ideas:

1. Create using MS Access, and extensive use of forms, then split the database
    2. MS Lightswitch (currently my favorite)
    3. Write a VB.NET application connecting to an Access Database

I have a working knowledge of VB6 and VB.NET but less experience with SQL Server etc.  That said, I'm more than willing to learn!

I'd appreciate any ideas anybody has for this project, feel free to ask me anything else that would help.

Mods:  I thought this was the most relevant forum, but feel free to move if I've missed a better one.

Guy Joseph - Intel Quad Q9450, 4Gb Ram, 3x500GB Hard Drives, NVidia 8800GT, Marian Marc 8, VB Express 2008

• Edited by GuyJos Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:37 PM Added functionality
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:14 PM

Answers

• I would be tempted to use SharePoint online (Office365) as the document repository. It comes with built-in features.

You ought to investigate to see if you would be comfortable with that. There are Cloud Biz App samples and tutorials.

Just a thought.

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Marked as answer by GuyJos Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:11 PM
  • I agree with the SharePoint  as Document Repository solution.  Have already implemented a few with 100K+ images.  Have to be careful about the SP row count view limitations as that can be very problematic if you aren't aware and account for it up front.

Lots of built in functionality in SP for this kind of approach.  

Should be able to track any custom meta data by designing your own content types in SharePoint.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:40 PM

All replies

• I would be tempted to use SharePoint online (Office365) as the document repository. It comes with built-in features.

You ought to investigate to see if you would be comfortable with that. There are Cloud Biz App samples and tutorials.

Just a thought.

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for a swift reply.

I will certainly look in to it.  One question with that, is there a means of tracking "Scores" for each document?  This is important to us, we want to be able to see scores for each candidate for a particular scheme.

Guy Joseph

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:15 PM
  • I agree with the SharePoint  as Document Repository solution.  Have already implemented a few with 100K+ images.  Have to be careful about the SP row count view limitations as that can be very problematic if you aren't aware and account for it up front.

Lots of built in functionality in SP for this kind of approach.  

Should be able to track any custom meta data by designing your own content types in SharePoint.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Thanks again

I have never used SharePoint before, so just a couple of things...

Firstly I can't seem to find a trial for the Web version?  Am I looking in the wrong place or do I need to actually sign up?

Is there capability to scan documents to PDF/another format in to SharePoint?  User-friendliness is very important, so minimizing the number of steps here is important.

Many thanks for your help

Guy Joseph

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:22 PM
  • You should be able to try it out with Office 365

Try or Buy

You can store any document types. You can also have a hybrid app that uses SharePoint lists and libraries from LightSwitch HTML (or even Silverlight): good for mobility, complex business rules and accessing different data sources.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Both,

I've set myself an account up on there and have been having a look.  It certainly seems capable of what I need.

Many thanks for your help with this

Guy Joseph

Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:12 AM