none
HCK - Why some fundamental HW requirements are enforced on windows 2012 but not in 8 and 7, RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After reading all the help pages about the test, i"m still unable to figure out why are some of my test on windows 2012

fail on HW requirements(>4GB ram & >4 cores) when same steps on windows 8 with the same HW are successful?

Being more specific,for example, if I try to run "Device Install Check For Other Device Stability (Certification)", it requires to run at first the following step: "Windows Logo Kit - Prepare client for Device Fundamentals testing (Win7+)" which fails for me on:"Verify system has at least four logical processors".

Actually I have only two cores on this machine, but, is there any special reason that I need 4GB of RAM and 4cores, when both the requirements of windows2012 and my driver are much lower?

Is there something special of my windows8 machine, which has 1GB of RAM and 2 cores but in that case, the test is actually passes?

Thanks,

Yanir

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:25 PM

Answers

• These Windows Server hardware baseline requirements are to ensure the certified drivers operate correctly, especially those that have their origin in the 32-bit realms of the desktop computing world.  These requirements verify that, among other things, a driver does not make limited assumptions about things such as DPC scheduling, memory address ranges, etc.

If your system supports multi-core and hyperthreading, enabling all should meet the 4 logical processors requirement.  The WHCK Windows Server 2012 SUT does require a minimum of 6 GB of memory.

--svb

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:58 PM