Issue with LDAP Connection Timeout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using LDAPConnection class to get retrive the data from the LDAP server. I'm using the default time (i.e 30 secs) for the connection. It's working if the response is comming before 30 secs. Suppose if response takes more than 30 secs to process the request, that time it returns Time out error. This is because for this request, data is having huge amount records. This is fine. We can resolve this issue this by increasing the value for the LDAPConection Timeout.

My Project manager is not recomanded, increasing the Timeout value for the LDAPConnection. In that case just sent a Indicator(or flag) to the consumer with only count of records(not data).

My question is how to get the only count of the records in that case. Otherwise suggest one best way to acheive this one.

Thanks

Pavan

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:54 AM

Answers

• i think you need to take the count first and then try to fetch huge amount of records. In case the second step fails you should show user the counts.
    Mark Answered, if it solves your question
    Rohit Arora
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:07 AM
  • There are no default properties that can help you achieve this, however certain classes like System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry and System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher can help you achieve what you want, however you would need to know what exactly you want from the directory, depending on which you can filter using the valid attributes.
    • Edited by Prasanna A Monday, January 30, 2012 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Prasanna A Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob ShenModerator Friday, February 3, 2012 7:15 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:00 AM

All replies

• i think you need to take the count first and then try to fetch huge amount of records. In case the second step fails you should show user the counts.
    Mark Answered, if it solves your question
    Rohit Arora
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Thank you for your quick reply.

So, How can get the Count(not data) for the search using this LDAP conenction class. Is there any property like that??

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:33 AM
  • There are no default properties that can help you achieve this, however certain classes like System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry and System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher can help you achieve what you want, however you would need to know what exactly you want from the directory, depending on which you can filter using the valid attributes.
    • Edited by Prasanna A Monday, January 30, 2012 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Prasanna A Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob ShenModerator Friday, February 3, 2012 7:15 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:00 AM