none
UWP Windows 10 MapPolylines shown bended on 3D map RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings folks,

My application displays MapPolylines on Windows 10 UWP 3D Mapcontrol. When set on two end points with different altitudes, the polylines are bended downward. There are not shown as a straight line. Any idea on how to correct this behavior? Thanks.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:53 PM

Answers

• What Altitude reference system are you using?

If you use an altitude reference of Terrain or Surface, then the polyline will follow the terrain in-between the specified vertices which is the expected behavior (since you are providing altitudes relative to the ground, the line follows the ground).

If you specify altitude using the ellipsoid or geoid reference system, then the lines will be drawn straight between the vertices.

• Marked as answer by Pmambo Tuesday, August 14, 2018 3:44 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

The two points would likely need to have the same altitude to not appear "bent", like roads are displayed.  Please see the description of "Perspective" at https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/03/31/new-mapcontrol-features-windows-10-creators-update/ 

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:25 PM
    Owner
  • Hello IoTGirl,

Thanks for your quick reply. It is very appreciated. My problem is that the application is a Microwave planning tool. The end points can be structures as buildings, telcom towers, etc. As you can imagine, their heights can differ, and I do not have any control on them. Is there really anything which can be done? I believe this might be a bug on UWP Windows 10 3D MapControl.

Could you please have Microsoft's developers team look into this issue? Thanks again.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:35 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

In order to show buildings 3D we need to respect height setting of co-ordinates.  You will have to take the data you want shown as only 2D and apply it to the map after removing the height data.

Alternatively, don't view the map tilted and view in 2D mode to see the polygon as you expect.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:13 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

If I got you right, the 3D view of UWP mapcontrol can't correctly display a MapPolyline when the end points have different altitude? So, it is not a bug issue? This is quite disappointing because Google Earth can. Thanks anyway for looking into the issue. 

However, could you please bring it to the developers team as a feature to support in next releases? More and more scientific applications may need it. Thanks.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:31 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I guess I am not understanding your issue. You create a point that has 3 dimensions, Lat, long and altitude and you *don't* want altitude respected? To me the bug would be if the altitude was ignored. If this is not the case, I would need a sample to show that the altitude is not being respected.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:40 PM
    Owner
  • Hello IoTGirl,

I am sorry for not being clear. Yes, I am using the 3 dimensions. See in attachment a screenshot of the issue.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:57 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I have sent a link to this thread to a member of the Bing Maps Team to review.  I doubt he will be able to get to review it until next week however.  So your concern is just where the white arrows are?

Sincere thanks,

IoTGirl

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:34 AM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks for the follow-up. Yes, the white arrows show how the link from each endpoint is tilted down. The tilt are wrongly performed here. The right way is the following. From each site, depending on the endpoint elevation + Altitude above ground, the link should be up tilt or down tilt, with the correct vertical angle. Notice the mapcontrol is the one of UWP.

Question on another subject: is UWP Windows 10 3Dmap still updated? I noticed some major cities as Dallas do not have the 3D view. They only have the road view.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Friday, August 10, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I know Bing Maps gets new streetview drops regularly but I don't know that they know which cities are being added or updated.  The data is ingested, then goes live and it is my assumption that the same dataset is leveraged across all Bing Maps offerings.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, August 10, 2018 5:27 PM
    Owner
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks for the hint. You're right. Dallas has no Bird's eye imagery there too. Coming back to the mappolyline issue, I hope I'll get a feed back from Bing Maps team. Thanks again.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Friday, August 10, 2018 5:38 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I have given this forum link as a reference so they will have all of the details you provided.

Sincerely,

Justine

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:41 PM
    Owner
  • What Altitude reference system are you using?

If you use an altitude reference of Terrain or Surface, then the polyline will follow the terrain in-between the specified vertices which is the expected behavior (since you are providing altitudes relative to the ground, the line follows the ground).

If you specify altitude using the ellipsoid or geoid reference system, then the lines will be drawn straight between the vertices.

• Marked as answer by Pmambo Tuesday, August 14, 2018 3:44 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 3:32 PM
  • Hello Duncan,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll try your recommendations and give you a feedback. Thanks.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Monday, August 13, 2018 3:35 PM
  • Hello Duncan,

Yes, the ellipsoid or geoid reference system gives the expected result. Thanks.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Thanks for confirming this solved your issue Patrick!
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5:06 PM
    Owner
  • Hello IoTGirl,

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards,

Patrick M.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5:11 PM
  • You are very welcome! I learned something I didn't know from this as well.  The perspective and elevations calculations are pretty amazing!
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 5:17 PM
    Owner