none
Difference between the Access database Engine and the Access Runtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed many times MS Access database application but they were all installed on computers with full office installation. This time my application will run on a computer with no office license. Do I need both the Database Engine and the Access Runtime?

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:02 AM

Answers

• Hello Ekoue,

For the difference between AccessDatabaseEngine and Access Runtime, I would suggest you refer to Paul's reply is below thread.

Difference between Access runtime and Microsoft access database engine 2010 redistribute

According to your description, I think you just need install Access Runtime.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ekoue Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:13 AM

All replies

• At least, AccessDatabaseEngine is required.

And if your program is made on Access VBA, Access Runtime is required. If your program is made on .NET Framework, it requires .NET Framework (RunTime), instead of Access Runtime.

Ashidacchi

P.S.

AccessDatabaseEngine is DBMS (Data Base Management System) that handles data. AccessRuntime is a base (environment) where some programs can be executed.

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Assuming you application is a standard Access FE (if this isn't the case please elaborate your setup) then:

• If Access is already installed (you state "computers with full office installation"), you don't need to install anything.
    • If Access isn't installed then you need to install Access Runtime.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:16 PM
  • Hi Ekoue,

Sorry, I misread your question.
    If they were all installed Access in their computers, Access DB Engine and Access RunTime is not needed in their computers.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:52 PM
  • Hello Ekoue,

For the difference between AccessDatabaseEngine and Access Runtime, I would suggest you refer to Paul's reply is below thread.

Difference between Access runtime and Microsoft access database engine 2010 redistribute

According to your description, I think you just need install Access Runtime.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ekoue Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:00 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:13 AM