can VS11/vnext be installed besides VS2010

Question

• Hi,

how dangerous is it to install the preview of VSvNext on a work-machine besides VS2010? Or is it better to use VirtualPC/VM to host a blank system for this and if yes is there going to be a lab-image as back then with VS2010 ?

• Moved by Andrew.Wu Monday, September 19, 2011 8:49 AM for better support (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:59 AM

Answers

• While we test Visual Studio so that they can be installed side-by-side when they are released to RTM, I would not recommend installing the Developer Preview on a machine that you care about. While we try our hardest to avoid bugs and setup issues, this is a pre-release and there will be issues.

Base Class Library Team (BCL) | My Blog: http://davesbox.com
    • Marked as answer by Carsten Koenig Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:52 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• Yes it can, and both appear to work OK here.

Your question about "how dangeruos..." cannot be answered unequivocally. My setup is fine today, but may crash the next time I try something different.

The golden rule of beta software applies (and this is pre-beta): DO NOT install beta test software on any system where you cannot afford to wipe the drive and reinstall your OS if the worst happens.

I.e., if it's you only computer and/or you have vital data on it that is not backed up elsewhere, stay away from beta software.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi Carsten,

Since your question is about Visual Studio 11, I'm going to move your post to the Tools for Metro style apps Forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:48 AM
  • While we test Visual Studio so that they can be installed side-by-side when they are released to RTM, I would not recommend installing the Developer Preview on a machine that you care about. While we try our hardest to avoid bugs and setup issues, this is a pre-release and there will be issues.

Base Class Library Team (BCL) | My Blog: http://davesbox.com
    • Marked as answer by Carsten Koenig Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:52 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Thank you for your answer - indeed you are all right. Should and will not install it on any productive machine. Sadly I have no blank PC around ATM so is there or will there be a complete VirtualPC (or similar) image to go? Would save me a lot of time.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:54 AM