none
Create Role to restrict users by one perspective

Question

• Dear Techies,

I'm exploring securities and roles in SSAS tabular model. As part of one requirement, I wanted the end users to be restricted by one perspective. Meaning, we have created multiple perspectives but the users should be seeing or accessing just one perspective which I select/want.

How to achieve the above and what are all the best practices needs to be followed when it comes to roles and security.

Please guide me

Note: We are using Power BI service as the reporting tool

Thanks,

Latheesh

latheesh

Friday, June 08, 2018 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Latheesh,

Usually perspectives are nothing but a subset of a cube. You cannot combine perspectives with roles. A role definition is nothing but how the end users see the data (either having row level security or column level security).

In your case, if you want to hide columns for few users then you can try implementing column level security. Darren has written a nice blog around it.

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Friday, June 08, 2018 10:22 AM
  • Perspective have nothing to do with permissions / security, see Perspectives (SSAS Tabular) : "Perspectives are not meant to be used as a security mechanism, but as a tool for providing a better user experience"

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, June 08, 2018 10:26 AM
  • Thanks Ram,

This make sense. I have one more question. Can we just deploy one perspective to Analysis service instance or make one perspective default??

Thanks,

Latheesh

latheesh

Friday, June 08, 2018 10:32 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,

got it! This makes sense to me now.

latheesh

Friday, June 08, 2018 10:33 AM
  • As far as I know, hiding a cube is possible in multidimensional model but not in tabular model.

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Friday, June 08, 2018 11:01 AM
  • Hi Latheesh,

Thanks for your question.

>>>Can we just deploy one perspective to Analysis service instance or make one perspective default??
    No, we can't. It is not support to do that currently.

One more thing, please kindly mark the helpful replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are facing this similar issues, your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, June 11, 2018 1:15 AM