Analysis services IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a clustered SQL 2008 SP1 (windows 2008 SP2)named instance of analysys services installed and i need to add another IP address to the cluster group.

I have followed MSFT directions and the document  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karang/archive/2010/11/18/enabling-ssas-clustered-instance-to-listen-on-multiple-ip-addresses.aspx.

Our problem is that the nodes are only listening on the first IP Address, not on the new cluster resource Ip Address added.

By MSFT "On a clustered instance, Analysis Services will listen on all IP addresses of the cluster group". I dont see what else i have to do.

Any help apreciated.

Regrads,

JRamalho

Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:54 AM

Answers

• So I fixed my issue.

Check in the hosts file under the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder

you need to add the extra IP for it to listen on your newly added IP, then restart SSAS service(you'll need to do this on all nodes). I assume that upon installation, SSAS modifies this file with the original IP address, but when you add an IP address via the cluster manager, it doesn't modify the hosts file to reflect the newly added IP.

• Proposed as answer by MSP858 Monday, June 4, 2012 3:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by jacmr Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:03 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi JRamalho,

Thank you for posting.
    I would like to involve someone familiar with this issue to have a look. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.
    Regards,

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 9, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Hello JRamalho,

Thanks for your post. When you run the netstat -abn, do you see two virtual IPs bound to the same SSAS port? Can you please send me the output running the following command from the command line:

netstat -abn > output.txt

The blog post addresses how the virtual SSAS rousource may bind to two IP addresses on the same port, would not address a node binding to multiple IP addresses.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks.

Meer Al - MSFT

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:11 PM
  • I seem to be having the same problem as OP. My SSAS server is listening on 1 of the 2 IPs that is in the cluster manager. If I do a netstat -a | find ":2383", I only get 1 IP listenting for SSAS, not 2. I've tried most troubleshooting techniques.... aka Restarting service, failover, reboot etc...

What I also find bizarre, is that we also have an SQL Instance on that cluster, and I can connect to it via both IPs, so obviously the cluster can accept connections from both NICs.

Some assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:48 PM
  • So I fixed my issue.

Check in the hosts file under the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder

you need to add the extra IP for it to listen on your newly added IP, then restart SSAS service(you'll need to do this on all nodes). I assume that upon installation, SSAS modifies this file with the original IP address, but when you add an IP address via the cluster manager, it doesn't modify the hosts file to reflect the newly added IP.

• Proposed as answer by MSP858 Monday, June 4, 2012 3:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by jacmr Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:03 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Adding the network name of my SSAS instance to the hosts file worked for me too. I suspect the cluster must try to resolve each the network name to each cluster IP address for that particular instance before bring that IP address online.

Friday, April 4, 2014 7:34 PM