Mirroring or AlwaysOn?? RRS feed

• Question

• I am anticipating setting up mirroring between servers on opposite sides of the country. When I look at the BOL mirroring section, however, it says mirroring will not be continued in future SQL versions, and that AlwaysOn capability should be used. When I look at the instructions for AlwayOn, however, it seems that that is for a Windows cluster configuration. My servers are on different domains, and not in any cluster. So is Always on still a candidate, or would I need to go with mirroring, or even traditional replication?
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:34 PM

Answers

• ...My servers are on different domains, and not in any cluster. So is Always on still a candidate, or would I need to go with mirroring, or even traditional replication?

Since your servers are in different domains, you really can's use AlwaysOn anyways.

Since you are looking for an HA solution mainly, Mirroring is the more focused technology, well proven to work.

If you look at replication, although it may read simple in papers to set it up for HA scenarios, it really is by far not as reliable for that matter. And for HA you do not want to make it overly complex, unless you for example need more than 1 copy of your database of a want to implement some kind of load-balancing.

Andreas Wolter (Blog | Twitter)
    MCM - Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server 2008
    MCSM - Microsoft Certified Solutions Master Data Platform, SQL Server 2012
    www.andreas-wolter.com | www.SarpedonQualityLab.com

Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:42 PM

All replies

• Mirroring is not going to go away right away and I believe is going to be there for some years. So mirroring would not be a problem for you. But down the line you will have to switch to always on. If you have the resources and the skills, I would go for always on right now. If not then u can just do mirroring and later be able to move on to always on.

It really depends on the details on your side in terms of resources you have and the skills.

Good luck my friend ....

ebro

Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Also look at third-party tools using different technologies.  I don't really know much about them, only that every major shop I've worked for in the last few years has used them instead of (or in addition to) native SQL Server features.

I was all hot to start using AlwaysOn features to support just a reporting db, then read about the licensing requirements, and we were only using standard nonclustered editions so couldn't.  Some of the recent Microsoft licensing moves in SQL Server seem pretty counterproductive, if you ask me.

Josh

• Edited by JRStern Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:08 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Please read the below link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlalwayson/archive/2010/12/08/alwayson-availability-group-and-database-mirroring.aspx

--Prashanth

Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:28 PM
  • ...My servers are on different domains, and not in any cluster. So is Always on still a candidate, or would I need to go with mirroring, or even traditional replication?

Since your servers are in different domains, you really can's use AlwaysOn anyways.

Since you are looking for an HA solution mainly, Mirroring is the more focused technology, well proven to work.

If you look at replication, although it may read simple in papers to set it up for HA scenarios, it really is by far not as reliable for that matter. And for HA you do not want to make it overly complex, unless you for example need more than 1 copy of your database of a want to implement some kind of load-balancing.

Andreas Wolter (Blog | Twitter)
    MCM - Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server 2008
    MCSM - Microsoft Certified Solutions Master Data Platform, SQL Server 2012
    www.andreas-wolter.com | www.SarpedonQualityLab.com

Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:42 PM