InternetClient Capability and RoamingState Data Storage

Question

• Is the InternetClient capability required if RoamingState folder storage is desired?  No other Internet access is  required.  With a single PC is there a way to test the syncing operation of a Windows Store app deployed from Visual Studio Express 2013?
    Monday, August 18, 2014 1:37 AM

Answers

• No. Roaming does not require that the app has network capabilities: the app isn't using the internet to roam, Windows handles the roaming for you.

I'd set up a virtual system to roam onto from a single physical PC. You can also get some ideas about what roams by uninstalling after data has roamed and then reinstalling to reacquire the roamed data, but it can get tricky to get the timing right.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Dwight Meyer Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:30 AM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 10:24 PM
    Owner
  • Do you have roaming enabled for your system? Search for "Sync Settings" to get to the control panel.

You can't uninstall and reinstall to reset a new free trial. The roaming data will remain so it isn't lost if the user purchases the app.

--Rob

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:57 AM
    Owner

All replies

• No. Roaming does not require that the app has network capabilities: the app isn't using the internet to roam, Windows handles the roaming for you.

I'd set up a virtual system to roam onto from a single physical PC. You can also get some ideas about what roams by uninstalling after data has roamed and then reinstalling to reacquire the roamed data, but it can get tricky to get the timing right.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Dwight Meyer Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:30 AM
    Monday, August 18, 2014 10:24 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob, for your response.

I'm not seeing any roaming happening.  I observed a couple files in the RoamingState folder for a few hours (so I assume they should have made it to the cloud).  Then I uninstalled the app and did a new deploy from VS Express 2013.  I also tried doing a build (not a rebuild) and another deploy.  Also tried a PC restart to re-login to the MS account.  After about an hour they haven't yet reappeared.  Also, I'm planning on providing a 15-day free trial.  What prevents someone from allowing the data to roam, then uninstalling and reinstalling for a new free trial, with the roaming data returning.  Or does a free trial expiration remove all roamed data in the cloud?

-Dwight

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:54 AM
  • Do you have roaming enabled for your system? Search for "Sync Settings" to get to the control panel.

You can't uninstall and reinstall to reset a new free trial. The roaming data will remain so it isn't lost if the user purchases the app.

--Rob

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:57 AM
    Owner
  • I checked the "Sync settings with OneDrive" (is this the correct place?) and everything is turned ON. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to "rest a new free trial". If you let a free trial expire are you unable to go back to the store, even after some time period, and get another free trial? I just want to be sure.  Thanks.

-Dwight

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:10 AM
  • If you let a free trial expire are you unable to go back to the store, even after some time period, and get another free trial?

Correct. This will not allow a new free trial.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 1:40 AM
    Owner