Question about developing app for desktop

Question

• Very simple question. Are we developers forced to use this new "metro" style interface in our applications? I mean, should we use the metro interface if we want to have succesful desktop application? I certainly don't like the new interface style and i don't find it appropriate for my app. I guess i'm not the only one who has such concerns.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• Windows 8 supports both desktop (Win32) apps, and Metro apps. There is no mandate that all apps must be converted to Metro in order to run on Windows 8, however Metro style UI will only be available to Metro apps.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• Windows 8 supports both desktop (Win32) apps, and Metro apps. There is no mandate that all apps must be converted to Metro in order to run on Windows 8, however Metro style UI will only be available to Metro apps.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Could you comment on WPF and Silverlight vNext and their support for the touch UI conventions we observe in Metro?

This stuff is INCREDIBLY cool and I applaud the approach of multiple personalities for the OS.  I personally believe that there is no other viable way to support a transition of this magnitude.  I also believe that this transition is ESSENTIAL. :)

http://www.technicalmedia.com
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Mike,

The WPF and Silverlight forums will be the right place to ask those questions.  I am not sure they would comment about future capabilities however.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Are you saying that the design style cannot be used in win32 apps? Remember that true "work apps" like engineering software and media production apps will not be able to be in Metro layer they have to be on the desktop but some might want to adopt some of the metro ui style

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Are you saying that the design style cannot be used in win32 apps?

Of course you can. Microsoft has patented parts of the Metro style but I wouldn't see why you can't use (parts of) the look and feel we see in Metro apps. I am not a lawyer though, so you might want to check this before you ship anything.

What you cannot do is use the templates in Visual Studio and the specific Metro controls. They work on WinRT and not on .net 4.5.

I myself have used the Metro style for quite some time now. Remember: it's also the standard for WP7 apps and it's also used in Surface v2.0 (the platform I work on). So go ahead and make fast and fluent, beautifull Win32 / .net4.5 apps in that style!

Dennis Vroegop Destrato Microsoft MVP Surface Please mark an answer as "answered" if it does help you!
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:57 AM