Problem deploying Club site starter kit to MyHosting RRS feed

• Question

• User322206306 posted

I'm new to VWD and ASP.NET, I have been trying to upload the Club Site starter kit with limited success. When I browse to my site via the default.aspx I get a vague Application error. If however I enter through one of the static pages like links the site opens properly and functions between the static pages but spits out the error page for default, photos, etc. I would appreciate any insight into what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks, Dravend

Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:43 AM

All replies

• User-1346905220 posted

Dravend-

Not sure without seeing the error message but since the static pages seem to work ok, do you have the database(s) set up properly?

-Mike

Saturday, March 18, 2006 2:10 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Dravend,

Please do post a little morde detail about what the error is, where is your site hosted and the Stack Trace when do see the error.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:53 PM
  • User322206306 posted

Hi, thanks for responding. the hosting company is called myhosting, there is no stack trace the error page appears with the very vague Application error. Although I'm a novice I assume since I can access the static pages the problem lies with the databases. Sorry I can't provide more information but I do want to thank you again for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Thanks Dravend

Saturday, March 18, 2006 5:07 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Just Add these two directives to your page Declaration

<%@ Page Debug="True" Trace="True" %>

Then try again, this should produce a trace and display specific error messages that are occuring.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:06 PM
  • User322206306 posted

Hi Angelo, I really appreciate the help. I apologize for not responding sooner but I been unable to. I implemented your advice and made some adjustments to the database. I think I'm close to getting this thing going. When I open the default page I receive this message:

Invalid object name 'dbo.Events'.
    Invalid object name 'dbo.Locations'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'dbo.Events'.
    Invalid object name 'dbo.Locations'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'dbo.Events'.
    Invalid object name 'dbo.Locations'.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +177
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +68
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +199
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +2305
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +31
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +62
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +294
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +1021
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +314
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +20
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +107
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +10
       System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +7
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +139
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +139
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +83
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1661
       System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +13
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +140
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +68
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +5
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +61
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +67
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +97
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +50
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5731

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

unfortunately for me I don't know what to do based on this. If you know what my next step is I would again very much appreciate your insight.

Thanks so much,  Dravend

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:52 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi there Dravend,

Those are tablenames in the Club DB, are you certain your DB has the Club Site tables in it?

In the Visual Studio or some other DB management tool, open a connection to your DB and verify that you indeed have the CLUB SITE DB installed.

You should see tables as:

Albums
    Announcements
    Events
    Images
    Locations

they should all be under dbo.TABLENAME

you should also see all the aspnet_Tablemanes... these are the ones added by ASP.NET for Roles and Membership/User Management.

Which Page is giving you the error you showed?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:29 AM
  • User322206306 posted

Hi Angelo! The site is up!!! and seems to be running fine. A few small hiccups but nothing too serious, I think. Anyway I want to thank you not only for your help but also other posts you've supplied. I checked out your site. I hope as I become more familiar I will be able to lend assistance to others. Thanks again, and I'm sure I be posting the latest dilemas as they arise.

Thanks Dravend.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:07 PM
  • User1820952145 posted

There is no such thing as a dumb question right?

My site isn't running either, actually the contact, membership and links pages work. All I did was "publish" the club site unedited to my host. I did not do anything else, the database was set up on my local box and the club site ran fine locally. When I publish the site, is the DB loaded with the publish? Or will I need to do some config on my hosting site? When I published the site to the little Microsoft ASP.NET 30 day demo host, it ran without any other intervention. Thanks in advance!!

Totally new to it...

Andy Z

Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:17 PM
  • User2112299790 posted

How do use sql server 2000 with my corperate template? I used the regsql.exe and it created all the required tables. however my website does not see it. Can you help?

Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:38 PM
  • User322206306 posted
    I hope you find this as helpful as I have.  Dravend

BoosterMan wrote the following post at 03-16-2006 10:33 PM:

Sorry it took so long to get this posted.  This is a step by step aimed for people who aren't all that familiar with this.  This is geared to getting a default club site working on GoDaddy.  I can't say its definitive, but it worked for me 3 times in row from a scratch site.  I'm also assuming you've downloaded VWD, club.vsi and the clubadd and clubremove scripts.  It also assumes you'll be managing several different windows.

1. Create your site locally.  Include AT LEAST 1 local admin account.
    2. Run site using CTRL-F5.
    3. Log into your GoDaddy hosting account and open the control panel.
    4. Click on ASP.Net runtime and select 2.0
    5. Click Databases > SQL Server > Create New Database.
    6. Select
      1. Check DSN (optional?)
      2. Enter UserName (this will become the database name NOT your hosting login)
      3. Enter Password (again, database password NOT hosting password)
      4. Check "Install Schema Features"
    7. Click Continue > Create Database (it WILL take some time for the database to create itself, you can refresh by clicking the SQL button in the left menu)
    8. Once setup finishes, Click Pencil icon under actions > print this page.
    9. Click Computer icon under actions > record the SQL Connection (.NET) strings
    10. Click Open Manager
    11. Click Connection > Enter the Username and Password from 6 above.
    12. Once connected, expand Tools menu > Click Query Analyzer
    13. Cut & Paste all text from club-add.sql into the Query Analyzer window
    14. Click Submit (you should see many "command(s) completed successfully" below)
    15. Go back to VWD and edit default.aspx
    16. Go to Edit > Find & Replace > Quick Replace
      1. Find dbo. (NOT Dbo. big difference)
      2. Replace with <blank> (nothing, nada, zip, zero)
      3. Look in: Current Document
    17. Click Replace All (should be 12 or more) > Save default.aspx
    18. Repeat steps 16 & 17 for:
      1. Events_Edit.aspx
      2. Events_View.aspx
    19. Open web.config
      1. Replace original text
        1. <add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

Integrated Security=true;<O:P></O:P>

AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;<O:P></O:P>

User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

2. With new text

1. <add name="ClubSiteDB" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"<O:P></O:P>

connectionString="server=whsql-v04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;<O:P></O:P>

database=DB_12345;<O:P></O:P>

uid=myusername;<O:P></O:P>

pwd=mypassword"/><O:P></O:P>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/><O:P></O:P>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"<O:P></O:P>

connectionString="server=whsql-v04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;<O:P></O:P>

database=DB_12345;<O:P></O:P>

uid=myusername;<O:P></O:P>

pwd=mypassword"/>

20. Change <customErrors mode="Off" /> (optional)

21. Save!!!

22. Run CTRL-F5 again.  (it will bring up a window with a server error, what you want is to look in the lower left corner of the VWD window for "Build Successful")

23. Click Website > Copy Web Site > Connect

24. Input your hosting username and password (NOT you database uid and pwd)

25. Highlight all files from the left side and click right arrow to transfer.

26. Go to your public website and create an account for each admin you created on your local database.  (make sure the usernames and passwords are the same!!!)

27. Log back into Query Analyzer

28. Input

1. SELECT RoleId FROM aspnet_Roles WHERE RoleName="Administrators"

29. Copy bracketed response into a text document and include the brackets

30. Reset QA and Input

1. SELECT UserId FROM aspnet_Users WHERE UserName="username"

2. Copy each bracketed response to your text document.

3. Reset QA again and Input

1. INSERT INTO aspnet_UsersInRoles (RoleId, UserID) VALUES ('copied text from 29', 'copied text from 31')

4. Repeat 28-32 for each admin account.

5. Welcome to your club site on GoDaddy!

Thanks to MaineOne and btech_rohit for insight into this problem!

BoosterMan

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:08 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

I am no expert in the ASP.NET world, albeit I can dig around and do some trial and error till I get what the code to do what I want it to do.

I am happy to see that we have a rising community spirit here in the Club DB Forum.

I will do whatever I can to help when it is within my means, you know sometimes you can follow a lead until you find it to be a deadend and then start all over again.

Right Now I am struggling with the RSVP module, I have it working just having a devil of a time getting the AVATAR from MEMBERINFO loaded into a Gridview control.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:53 PM