none
Mergeing Cloud point from multiple kinects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create avatar using multiple kinects.

For this, I am trying to use FusionDepthProcessor.AlignPointClouds to do extrinsic calibration of kinect cameras.

Step 1 : Capture FusionPointCloudImageFrame of a plane scene using two kinects.

Step 2 : Get transformation(calibration) matrix using FusionDepthProcessor.AlignPointClouds  from step 1.

When I apply this transformation(from Step 2) while ColorReconstruction.ProcessFrame with FusionFloatImageFrame and FusionColorImageFrame captured from both cameras, results are distorted not even closer to what I expect.

More than that even if I process single camera frame ProcessFrame->CalculateMesh giving 3D convex hull like result for planer objects.

Here I assume FusionDepthProcessor.AlignPointClouds is similar to ICP algorithm to get transformation from two point cloud for same scene.

Any idea, what I am missing? 

Thanks.

• Edited by Manis Kumar Friday, December 5, 2014 5:39 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 5:29 AM

All replies

• By plane scene, do you mean a completely flat object/scene? If so, the ICP algorithm will likely fail to converge at the correct transformation as it needs 3D structure to align.

Also you may need to be careful to make sure that you are supplying the correct camera parameters when you create point clouds from depth frames from multiple Kinects. 

The 3D convex hull on supposedly planar surfaces you see may be a feature of the time of flight technology. Time of flight does not behave well in certain situations, such as sharp corners.

Friday, December 5, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for answer.

Yeah, i mean flat object by plane scene.  

Saturday, December 6, 2014 3:46 AM
  • If you want to do it offline then you could always just export the meshes from the separate Kinects into a program like Meshlab. It has a decent set of tool for aligning point clouds, and plenty of youtube video guides on how to do this. 
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:48 PM