DB backup and restore with SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i needed a file which was deleted 2 months before from my SharePoint. So i got the SQL Content DB backup which is 2 months old which was backed up in production . Now i tried to restore that in Development because i need only one file. i created a database and restored the backup in SQL server. but now i am not sure which URL i should browse and get the content.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:32 PM

Answers

• That's not correct, you don't need an existing database or site collection before restoring the backup DB. On the other hand it's a very good step to perform if you want to test that your site is accessible.

Once your database has been restored you should be able to see the site collections you brought with it in 'view all site collections' in central admin. Use the URLs there.

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sara Fan Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:36 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Since you are creating site collection before content database backup, it is creating orphan entry in your old content database and showing  0 site collection. As alex mentioned, all you need to do is attach content database and go to view all site collection and find out which site collection has this content database restored or use powershell to get site collection url from content database. 

sachin

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:30 PM

All replies

• Whichever URL you use to access the Web Application that you attached the database to.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:43 PM
  • you need to create a site collection on your dev, and then replace that site collection DB with your production DB.

after that, you can browse the content as you were on the new created site collection

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:48 PM
  • i created a DB first and then created a site collection "A" over it. then i restored the backed up DB. but when i browse the site collection "A", nothing is available. is this what you are saying?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:01 PM
  • try to create a new site collection through Central administration.

when the wizard ask you for a database name, give the exact DB name as you have on production DB.

Then detach the automatic created DB, and attach your production DB (the DB names must match).

you can then also do an IISreset. 

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:22 PM
  • That's not correct, you don't need an existing database or site collection before restoring the backup DB. On the other hand it's a very good step to perform if you want to test that your site is accessible.

Once your database has been restored you should be able to see the site collections you brought with it in 'view all site collections' in central admin. Use the URLs there.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Since you are creating site collection before content database backup, it is creating orphan entry in your old content database and showing  0 site collection. As alex mentioned, all you need to do is attach content database and go to view all site collection and find out which site collection has this content database restored or use powershell to get site collection url from content database. 

sachin

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:30 PM