none
Pros and Cons of COM reference and DLL reference RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know pros and cons of COM object reference and DLL reference.

Say,I'm writing a tool to do some operation with MS Excel, should i add the reference of the Excel in .Net tab or COM components tab of Add Reference dialog box.

In the below link,it was said like we can use Embed Interop Types property to embed the COM objects required in the referenced DLL.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/39edc2f3-781b-48c6-8e5f-f170ef00b10e/why-does-the-embed-interop-types-option-not-generate-the-appropriate-dispidattributes-in-some?forum=clr

How it will impact the application?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Manojkumar ,

It's a general question. It  should be a discussion.

The Component Object Model (COM) is a binary standard that defines how objects are created and destroyed and, most importantly, how they interact with each other. As long as applications follow the COM standard, different applications from different sources can communicate with each other across process boundaries. People use COM to make communication with other applications easy.

DLL is similar to executable files we know just a higher level of abstraction which let you share the code across processes and reuse it instead of having to write it all for each application, DLLs are one of the core part of the Windows architecture.

Best regards.

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:27 AM