How to change the conversation subject in Lync 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Lync 2013, how can I set or change the conversation subject? This used to be possible in the conversation options in Lync 2010 or by hitting CTRL-J. It is set when a conversation is initiated from Outlook, but I can't see how to set it otherwise or even change it.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• This forum covers Lync application development. It looks like your question is actually an Outlook question, since Lync is launching Outlook when you specify you want to send an email. 

There is an Outlook forum here you might try:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook?auth=1

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:02 PM
  • My question is about the Lync 2013. My point about Outlook is that the conversation gets a subject set if the Lync conversation is initiated from Outlook.

It looks like the Lync function to set the conversation subject, available in Lync 2010, was removed in Lync 2013. I was suggested to post this question here.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:59 PM
  • I'll see if I can find an answer. I'll reply with whatever I find, no later than Thursday end of day, Pacific time.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:22 PM
  • This feature was removed in 2013.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:07 PM
    1. Open a new e-mail in Outlook
    2. Set the "To:" value to Your conversation partner (wait for Lync to check it with the colour square)
    3. Set the "Subject:" value to the new subject You want
    4. Start a conversation from the new email - it will overwrite Lync-subject
    5. Cancel the new e-mail message

Works with Lync2013 :-)

Best regards,

Bence

• Proposed as answer by Valiante82 Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:13 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Now that's a clever workaround. Thanks!
    Monday, August 26, 2013 4:30 PM
  • But how to do this for multiple users at once?
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Group Conversations never had support for changing the subject.  I don't think there's a way to do this without just sending an old-fashioned email to multiple users.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:05 AM
  • WTH??  This is a terrible workaround!!  Or better yet - a crappy workaround for a TERRIBLE decision by MS to just remove the function from Lync 2013.  We had to migrate to 2013 due to a corp decision but so many people are up in arms complaining to our IT group I have a feeling (and HOPE) they allow us to go back to 2010.  I mean what was so wrong with the CTRL-J and just change the subject function???  This is just one of the MANY reasons 2013 completely stinks!!  

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Start the custom named conversation with one person, then you can simply drag other people into the conversation and it keeps the name.

Thanks for the workaround though!

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Indeed starting an IM conversation directly in Outlook is the only way to see, but not edit, the Subject / Topic to be discussed in Lync 2013 (feature only in Lync 2010).

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Yea, WTH Microsoft. Who thought that was a good idea to remove changing the subject? I have IMs go on for days with the wrong subject now. Stupid
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:10 PM
  • It's the usual Microsoft "new" version release; they have to dramatically alter the UI in pointless ways in order to give the impression of significant change where there is little or none.  They imagine we're all going to spend money upgrading because we're too stupid to realize this.  Their marketing people moonlight for the DNC.
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Hey MS, how about doing something for the customers for a change and re-implement this feature in a client update? Would be nice to get NEW features instead of grovelling just to get back features we once had... but hey, gotta start somewhere.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:02 AM
  • Hi all,

I have found a workaround on how to change the subject for a group conversation, it is a little bit tricky though.

These are still the initial steps.

• Open a new e-mail in Outlook
      • Set the "To:" value to Your conversation partner (wait for Lync to check it with the colour square)
      • Set the "Subject:" value to the new subject You want
      • Start a conversation from the new email - it will overwrite Lync-subject
      • Cancel the new e-mail message

And followed by this:

Given that you have the conversation with a person and have the subject you want.

1. Show the list of participants by holding "Ctrl + R"

2. Select the persons that you want to add on the conversation from Lync 2013 and drag their name on the list of participants.

That's it!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Friday, June 27, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Just open another email with a preferred subject and then hover over user and select chat. The subject of that email will appear in your Lync chat.
    • Proposed as answer by EdΦ Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:03 PM
  • I feel your pain and concur.  Changing the subject was a menu option in the previous version and it has been removed.  I miss Lotus Sametime.  Now with the option removed I have multiple lyncs with groups open that just say 'Conversation'  It may seem like a small thing but it really frustrates me when I have so many windows open and can't find the conversation I'm looking for by just looking at the taskbar. 

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:36 PM
  • I wish I could upvote this a thousand times. Unsurprisingly Microsoft's forum tool is a piece of shiiiiiiii so I can't even upvote you once.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Agreed - one of the most ignorant software changes I've come across. 

Nice "upgrade" dum dums

Friday, September 30, 2016 3:17 PM
  • You can create a Distribution List (active on server with email assigned, not local) with the users you wish to include and follow the steps above:

1. Open a new e-mail in Outlook
    2. Set the "To:" value to (Distribution List)
    3. Set the "Subject:" value to the new subject You want
    4. Start a conversation from the new email - it will overwrite Lync-subject
    5. Cancel the new e-mail message

Otherwise, create a group inside your Lync 2013. Follow the steps above for one user, then drag the group from your Lync contacts to the conversation. 

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Press the list key (between the windows key  and "ctrl" key on the right hand side of your keyboard) / or you can just right click in the message box, then press "L" and you will be able to add a "Story Title" to your Lync message. Once the message is saved in your Conversation History folder in Outlook, the title doesn't show though. You will only see it if you review conversations in Lync.
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:11 PM