none
File and storage services: "Display will complete when the server inventory has finished" - cluster

Question

• I have two nodes in a cluster with 3 attached data disks (each) using a simple storage pool.

After joining them to the cluster they no longer appear under: Server Manager -> File and Storage Services -> Volumes -> Disks

It just says "Display will be complete when the server inventory has finished..."

The disks are still listed under My Computer (the drive that the three disks are pooled into a volume as).

I assume this has to be with configuring the cluster and a change needing to be made there?

Thursday, April 02, 2015 7:18 PM

Answers

• I tried to recreate this issue and after couple of tries, I was able to get this issue.

To completely avoid this issue, please build the cluster first, and then create the storage pool. If you create the storage pool ahead, you may run into this issue.

I will report this to concerned team. But it is not possible to provide ETA for this issue as of now.

The only current workaround is to use powershell to manage the storage pool: get-storagepool

Another option is to stop the cluster service temporarily, then close and reopen Server Manager. You should see the storage pool again.

Refer the following link for Powershell version of creating storage pool in an existing cluster: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Sql-Alwayson-Windows-2012-916c7387

Regards,

Manu

Thursday, April 09, 2015 6:29 PM
  • I had a similar issue and fixed it by enabling "Remote management" in local server properties in Server Manager on each cluster node.
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This appears like an issue with Storage more than Virtual Machines. Hence moving the thread to storage queue for a broader support.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Friday, April 03, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Could you please look in to the Windows Event logs and get the Error message or Event ID in there.

If the Event ID is 12309, you may refer the following link to troubleshoot the issue: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734547%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

Manu

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 1:35 PM
  • I didn't see any errors in the event log (at least not related to that).

Had a few logs when I stopped all the VMs and brought them all back online and the cluster wasn't available yet, but nothing storage related.

Here is what I see in disks:

Note the "Display will be complete when the server inventory has finished..."

EDIT: I still have access to drive K which is made of a few Azure Data Disks joined in a simple pool, it shows up in My Computer, just not in the screenshots above.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:09 PM
  • I'm trying to involve other engineers in here. Your patience is appreciated.

Regards,

Manu

Thursday, April 09, 2015 12:03 PM
  • I tried to recreate this issue and after couple of tries, I was able to get this issue.

To completely avoid this issue, please build the cluster first, and then create the storage pool. If you create the storage pool ahead, you may run into this issue.

I will report this to concerned team. But it is not possible to provide ETA for this issue as of now.

The only current workaround is to use powershell to manage the storage pool: get-storagepool

Another option is to stop the cluster service temporarily, then close and reopen Server Manager. You should see the storage pool again.

Refer the following link for Powershell version of creating storage pool in an existing cluster: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Sql-Alwayson-Windows-2012-916c7387

Regards,

Manu

Thursday, April 09, 2015 6:29 PM
  • OK so to verify:

1. Create the cluster between my nodes

2. THEN AFTER the cluster is created, attach / create the storage pool

I assume the general reason this resolves the issue is because in this scenario I don't want the storage pools to be part of the cluster in the first place, so creating the cluster first and the storage pools after the fact helps to prevent them from being involved as a cluster resource?

Thank you for your help

Thursday, April 09, 2015 6:34 PM
  • I had a similar issue and fixed it by enabling "Remote management" in local server properties in Server Manager on each cluster node.
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:37 PM
  • Nope, doesn't help in my case. 
    Friday, December 09, 2016 10:06 AM