Audio / Video - Raspberry Pi 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just generally playing around at the moment, but tried a simple app with a media element that plays a video (mp4).

When using the app on my local machine, it all works fine, sound and video.

When debugging on the device there is no sound, and the video is very slow.

Is this issues with the device having low memory etc, or is this an issue with the current build of Windows 10 for IoT, or is there something else that I need to think about with this type of task?

Saturday, May 2, 2015 11:06 AM

Answers

• You are correct that the current build is only using software rendering for the Rpi2.  Additionally the input / output of audio is not working in the current build so that is why you are not hearing any sound when you try to play back a video.

The audio should be addressed in the future, and improvements to the DX rendering should happen over time.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Monday, May 4, 2015 10:03 PM

All replies

• I'm running into the same issue. I have an app that uses a MediaElement to play an MP3 file. When I run it on the desktop, everything works fine, but on the Pi, no audio. I've tried both over HDMI and using the audio jack, but no dice on either.

I messed around a bit with Powershell and noticed that if you run "devcon listclass AudioEndpoints" you get the response "There are no devices in setup class "AudioEndpoint" (Audio inputs and outputs).". So that might have something to do with it...

• Edited by BasRP Saturday, May 2, 2015 5:47 PM Added stuff about powershell.
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 5:05 PM
  • I think the reason video is so slow is that the graphics card for the Pi 2 is the 'Microsoft Basic Render Driver' which presumably only does software rendering on the CPU instead of taking advantage of the Pi's GPU.  If you run 'devcon hwids *' it will list all the devices and you can see only the basic render driver listed.

I tried a basic DirectX universal app rotating 3D cube (just the standard DirectX example template) and it amazingly does run on the Pi, but only at ~14 FPS which definitely means there's no hardware acceleration.

So unfortunately I think it's a limitation of the Windows 10 IoT OS for the Pi 2 right now and out of your application's control.  It would be nice if someone from the IoT team could confirm the lack of hardware acceleration and help clarify if that's something planned for the final release.

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:07 AM
  • I had a feeling it might be something to do with driver initialisation - I also tried an MP3, but with no luck.

The only other thing I can think of might be the volume control, but not sure how that works either.

Monday, May 4, 2015 1:41 PM
  • You are correct that the current build is only using software rendering for the Rpi2.  Additionally the input / output of audio is not working in the current build so that is why you are not hearing any sound when you try to play back a video.

The audio should be addressed in the future, and improvements to the DX rendering should happen over time.

Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Monday, May 4, 2015 10:03 PM
  • Any progress on this?

digitally, only digitally!

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Not as of the 5/12 release of the images, no.

If you have a Minnow Board Max, it should offer a better level of video support though.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Does anyone know what the roadmap is kind of like for the Windows 10 for RP 2? Will it take years for audio drivers to be included? And if so, is it possible to create your own audio drivers for it? Can anyone give us some kind of clue about this?

none

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:54 AM
  • Does anyone know what the roadmap is kind of like for the Windows 10 for RP 2? Will it take years for audio drivers to be included? And if so, is it possible to create your own audio drivers for it? Can anyone give us some kind of clue about this?

none

I'd like some sort of information on this too. The public release is now out and it is barely functional on the Raspberry Pi. One supported wifi adapter, no HDMI audio, no hardware rendering, etc. If this is it (and this being the RTM build, it seems to be), then that's dismal. With no information on what's to be expected and when it's not really worth developing for Windows IoT on the Pi.
    Monday, August 31, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Any información about the video acceleration, please someone from Microsoft Who tell us a date or if you are Still working on it or  don't. I have been working With iot But the video performane is really a nightmare.
    Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:54 AM
  • can't believe still no news on the video acceleration nor on the camera support... they made a big hubub over Pi3 Windows IOT and then half the stuffs unsupported with no ETA this makes me sad i was so excited for .Net on Pi :( But alas looks like ill have to go back to learning raspbian
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Yeah, this is really disappointing.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 6:38 PM
  • I tested with a Raspberry Pi 3 with the same result. I still have 1 or 2 FPS ...

I really hope this could be improved in the future ....

Best regards
    Paulo Aboim Pinto
    Zurich - Switzerland

Friday, October 21, 2016 11:35 AM
  • You replied on May the force be with you (May the 4th) 2015

AND STILL NO GPU SUPPORT IN NOVEMBER 2016! :(

More than a year later... What is the problem? The neglect is driving people AWAY from Windows IoT and I find it be very, very irresponsible. 

What can the community do to nudge the situation. Is there an official bug report open? Maybe we need to start upvotiong it and getting it done.  Raspbian has the entire ABI and API.. open sourced. Is it a licensing issue? Surely not code problem, we know how the GPU works from Raspbian.

MCTS,MCPD - Piotr Kula

• Edited by Piotr Kula Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:13 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:11 AM