none
Purchased trial app doesn't launch anymore (contract failed with error: Element not found) RRS feed

• Question

• The story from an user

"Prior to my purchase, I used the trial version of the app, and that ran without incident. When I subsequently purchased the app―maybe a little over a week or so later―I could not and still cannot get it to run.  After the splash screen pops up, the program crashes."

After finally getting the copy of the TWinUI Operational from the Event Viewer, there was this message:

"Activation of the app 54823company_game5e8gt4wqhetby!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: Element not found.."

It seems to be related to some security software that block windows store apps after upgrading from trial to full version (unconfirmed, but it would make sense).

My question is : What's going on? How to address this problem? Should I remove Trial from my app?

• Edited by execom_rt Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:38 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:12 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The best way to troubleshoot this first would be to see if you are able to reproduce the issue. Most likely you are correct that this is specific to the user's PC.

You also may want to see if the user has another PC they can try with the same Microsoft Account.

If you are able to determine that this is a PC issue then the customer should contact Windows support.

-Eric

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The best way to troubleshoot this first would be to see if you are able to reproduce the issue. Most likely you are correct that this is specific to the user's PC.

You also may want to see if the user has another PC they can try with the same Microsoft Account.

If you are able to determine that this is a PC issue then the customer should contact Windows support.

-Eric

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Hello;

Yes the user is able to reproduce the problem at 100%. He gave me the dxdiag.txt and all the event viewer log. 

He is not alone, I can read on in reviews (1 star of course), saying the application crash after purchasing the trial. 

Update: This user is using Windows 8 Pro, Asus EEE Slate, and running AVG free as security software. I've asked to follow up to Windows Support. 

• Edited by execom_rt Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:14 PM