none
Determine a product name by it's product key. RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what this comes under. I have a bunch of product keys from a Microsoft Action Pack Subscription, but some of the CD's have been mixed up and now the CD's inside the cases don't necessarily correspond to the product key on the case itself.
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of a program or method which can be used to determine what product corresponds to a given key, rather than me going by trial and error, which could take forever.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am not aware of any easy way to do this - maybe someone else hanging out might know. Have you tried any of the Partner specific support channels, since that is a Partner specific program?

http://partner.microsoft.com/

Partner Portal Contact Us: https://partner.microsoft.com/40001608

Friday, April 4, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Same problem here..Mixed up three product keys. All sleeves also contain an "ID" like x11-17379 but I cannot find any reference to them on Microsoft's site or in the action pack docs.

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:32 PM
  •  

David:

If these are MSDN or TechNet Subscriptions disks, you could try the Subscriptions Index which is online and there you can put in the disk number 1234.5 to see what is on it.

If the issue is the key, though, which sounds like maybe that is it, Partner Customer Support or Subscriptions Customer Support should be able to look up the key in a "key check tool" and tell you what product that key is for.

Good luck.

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Thanks, yes it's this elusive "key check tool" that I am after, really. Wouldn't wanna be on the phone to tech support for an hour testing out all the keys. It would be better if there was some way to tell based on the first four characters of the key for example. Oh well, thanks for the help.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 6:51 AM