DependentPlatformMissingException Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms Version 11.0.0.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running into a strange issue. I am developing a Outlook 2007 addin using Visual Studio 2010 with VSTO 3.0 and deployed using ClickOnce.

I would like to check if there are any updates and if so prompt the user to restart outlook.  

However if I call ApplicationDeployment.CheckForDetailedUpdate or ApplicationDeployment.CheckForUpdate I get the following exception:

DependentPlatformMissingException: Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms Version 11.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

I've attached a sample project that repros the issue. Here is the link:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4701630/TestOutlookAddIn2.zip 

To repro,you need Windows 7 x64, Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2007 installed with all components 

1) Set a breakpoint on line 19 of ThisAddIn.cs 
    2) Build the solution in debug 
    3) Go to the TestOutlookAddIn2\bin\Debug folder and execute TestOutlookAddIn2.vsto 
    4) Run Outlook and at startup, you should see a message box popup with the text "I'm in" 
    5) In Visual Studio, attach the debugger to the Outlook.exe process 
    6) Hit ok on the messge box and debugger should hit your break point. 
    7) Keep stepping and when you execute line 21, you will get DependentPlatformMissingException 

Thanks

Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi
    I am running into a strange issue. I am developing a Outlook 2007 addin using Visual Studio 2010 with VSTO 3.0 and deployed using ClickOnce.

I would like to check if there are any updates and if so prompt the user to restart outlook.  

However if I call ApplicationDeployment.CheckForDetailedUpdate or ApplicationDeployment.CheckForUpdate I get the following exception:

DependentPlatformMissingException: 

Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms Version 11.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

This happens on both my dev machine and on the remote machine.

Here's what I've tried so far with no success:
    - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 PIAs
    - Added Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms v 11.0.0.0 (file version 12.*) as a reference to my project
    - Verified that the dll with the correct version is in my GAC

I have no idea why this exception is occurring. Hope you can help.
    Thanks

Matt
    • Merged by Cindy Meister MVP Friday, July 2, 2010 8:47 AM Same question as before, just more info
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Update I just tried this brand new VS 2010 projects. Here is my addin file

If my framework is set to .net 4, it works fine. If my framework is set to .net 3.5, I get the same exception and error.

namespace TestOutlookAddIn2
    {
        public partial class ThisAddIn
        {
            private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
                MessageBox.Show("I'm in");

if (ApplicationDeployment.IsNetworkDeployed)
                {
                    var info = ApplicationDeployment.CurrentDeployment.CheckForDetailedUpdate();
                }
            }

private void ThisAddIn_Shutdown(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
            }

#region VSTO generated code

/// <summary>
            /// Required method for Designer support - do not modify
            /// the contents of this method with the code editor.
            /// </summary>
            private void InternalStartup()
            {
                this.Startup += new System.EventHandler(ThisAddIn_Startup);
                this.Shutdown += new System.EventHandler(ThisAddIn_Shutdown);
            }

#endregion
        }
    }

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hello,

As far as I see, it probably be related to be Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms you add reference. Could you confirm one thing for us. Please ensure that the version of it should be 12.0.0.0. If not, please add it again, and see if this works or not. 

For this error, also here is a thread for a similar one which might also help you: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsto/thread/2cd8b9ae-9273-4051-ae28-f92dd183d1b8.

If you have any concern for this, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

I do not have a Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms v 12.0.0.0 on my pc. How do I get it? I do have the following versions available through add references:

Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms | 11.0.0.0 | file version: 14.0.4730.1010

Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms | 11.0.0.0 | file version: 12.0.4518.1014

In addition the version in the GAC is   Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c 

I've tried adding references to each of these versions and setting the "Copy Local" to false, but I still get the same exception DependentPlatformMissingException: Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms Version 11.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

Here is a link to a clean project that reproduces this issue: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4701630/TestOutlookAddIn3.zip (You need to build and install using vsto) ( I removed all prerequisites for testing purposes)

Can you please try it on your machine (win 7 x64, vs 2010, office 2007) to see if you get the same error?

Thanks very much

Friday, July 2, 2010 5:46 PM
  • This library is included in Office 2007 PIA. For more information, you could refer to this MSDN page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/15s06t57(VS.80).aspx. So I would like to suggest you reinstall this Office 2007 PIA in your side. You could download it from Microsoft download center: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=59daebaa-bed4-4282-a28c-b864d8bfa513&displaylang=en. If this does not help you work around this issue, would you unload the project via http://skydrive.live.com.

Also here is resource which might give you some idea: http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/110310/#msg_110310.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

I tried reinstalling Office 2007 PIA, but I am still running into this issue. I have uploaded the project to skydive: http://cid-4f57144a2af6779a.office.live.com/self.aspx/New%20folder/OutlookAddIn1.zip

To reproduce the bug, you need to be running Win 7 x64, VS 2010 Ultimate Office 2007 and .net 3.5 SP1. Open the project and hit publish. Then go to the Publish folder and run the executable which will install it into outlook. Run outlook and you should see messageboxes indicating success of failure.

Thanks

Matt

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:06 AM
  • By running the sample in my side, I could reproduce this issue. My environment is Office 2007 and Visual Studio 2010 on Windows Server 2003. So this issue shoule be not related to be system. Sorry, I am not aware of a workaround for this issue, and there is no a official documentation for this issue.

From this error, it indicates that running/installing this add-in needs assembly Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.Forms 11.0.0.0. However, this assembly is included in Office 2003 PIA. It seems that we need to install Office 2003 PIA. I am a little lost here. But I will keep on with this topic. As long as there is a workaround for this, I will follow up again. Since this add-in works fine via .NET Framework 4.0, you could use .NET Framework 4.0 for this add-in instead. Is there a reason you could not use .NET Framework 4.0?

Best regards,
    Bessie

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:21 AM
  • Thanks for trying it out. We dont want to use .net 4.0 because that would force people to have to download it.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Did anyone ever get a solution for this - I just ran into the problem myself.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:37 PM