VS2013 HTML Client: BUG: JQuery 1.3.2 breaks LS; TypeError: Unable to get property 'popup' of undefined or null reference RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Suddenly, I have this very abstract error message pop-up in the browser when I run our VS2013 HTML Client application:

Message from webpage
    TypeError: Unable to get property 'popup' of undefined or null reference

I haven't been working in the HTML Client project for the last few days; Mostly working on server code.  When I backed out the server project's changes, the issue remained. I can run the Desktop Silverlight application, so the issue seems to be somewhere in the HTML Client project.  I suspect some kind of mismatch between versions of scripts and packages.  Maybe a NuGet mismatch?

I am stumped and hope that someone has already wrestled this issue and can give me a heads-up.  I'd really appreciate suggestions for fixing this issue, or how to attack debugging it.

Thanks for your time and help,

Mike

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hello Everyone,

So, I took our original VS2012 HTML Client application and proceeded step-by-step through converting it to VS2013.  When I updated the Server and Desktop projects via NuGet, the application work fine.  When I looked at the HTML Client project, there are two proposed updates: JQuery 1.9.1 to 2.0.3 and JQMobile 1.3.0 to 1.3.2.  We are not permitted to update JQuery due to not finding "a version of Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime that is compatible with JQuery 2.0.3", so it is not an issue and we remained at JQuery 1.9.1.  HOWEVER, if you update JQMobile to 1.3.2. BOOM!  The HTML Client breaks and the error that I've mentioned in the beginning of this posting happens.  This clearly is a bug, so hopefully someone from Microsoft can fix the NuGet feed so it won't permit this update.  I am going to try to reverse the NuGet update from our project... Hopefully... Rather than having to start over again from the VS2012->Vs2013 conversion.

Hope this helps someone,

Mike

find a version of 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime' that is compatible with 'jQuery 2.0.3'.

• Marked as answer by A Bit of Help Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:58 PM

All replies

• Ran the HTML Client with JS debugging and found the following information...  The error is happening in Jquery-1.9.1 inside a call to SetDocument().

Monday, October 28, 2013 10:06 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

So, I took our original VS2012 HTML Client application and proceeded step-by-step through converting it to VS2013.  When I updated the Server and Desktop projects via NuGet, the application work fine.  When I looked at the HTML Client project, there are two proposed updates: JQuery 1.9.1 to 2.0.3 and JQMobile 1.3.0 to 1.3.2.  We are not permitted to update JQuery due to not finding "a version of Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime that is compatible with JQuery 2.0.3", so it is not an issue and we remained at JQuery 1.9.1.  HOWEVER, if you update JQMobile to 1.3.2. BOOM!  The HTML Client breaks and the error that I've mentioned in the beginning of this posting happens.  This clearly is a bug, so hopefully someone from Microsoft can fix the NuGet feed so it won't permit this update.  I am going to try to reverse the NuGet update from our project... Hopefully... Rather than having to start over again from the VS2012->Vs2013 conversion.

Hope this helps someone,

Mike

find a version of 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime' that is compatible with 'jQuery 2.0.3'.

• Marked as answer by A Bit of Help Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:58 PM
  • This combination in the HTML Client project works:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages>
      <package id="datajs" version="1.1.1" targetFramework="winrt45" />
      <package id="jQuery" version="1.9.1" targetFramework="winrt45" />
      <package id="jquery.mobile" version="1.3.0" targetFramework="winrt45" />
      <package id="jQuery.Validation" version="1.11.1" targetFramework="win" />
      <package id="Microsoft.LightSwitch.Client.JavaScript.Runtime" version="2.0.0.0" targetFramework="winrt45" />
      <package id="Moment.js" version="2.4.0" targetFramework="win" />
      <package id="Moment.Timezone.js" version="0.0.1" targetFramework="win" />
    </packages>

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Glad that you've solved this issue by yourself, and thanks for sharing your solution with us.

Best regards

Angie xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 1, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

Hope this helps someone,

Mike

Hi

I am having the same problem.

I can't figure out how to reverse the NuGet update from my project.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:17 AM