Azure Search - suitable as unstructured data search layer? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build a solution for a client to have a search functionality in their data repository (data lake). Is this a suitable application? I worry that it's not because of limited indexing functionalities using the portal (around parsing content in .xls formats). Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi, Azure Search is a service you can use integrate into your application to enable a wide range of search scenarios including indexing of excel and pdf files as well as searching and filtering over files content and metadata. The Azure Portal is there to help you configure the service but you'll need to build your application code on top of Azure Search. If your application is developed in .Net you can use our .Net SDK, otherwise you can call the REST APIs directly from any platform. 

Hope that helps,

Janusz

Monday, November 27, 2017 9:27 PM

All replies

• Azure Search is designed for searching over unstructured data. Do you mind describing your requirements in more detail and what limitations you've found that prevent you from adopting Azure Search in your scenario?
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response. We're trying to find a flexible solution that meets the following criteria:

1. work for non-tech savvy folks

2. user should be able to filter/search for files in a repository based on file metadata (file owner, date etc) as well as actual contents. For eg: based on fields in an excel file or an email that matches certain keywords or a pdf paragraph based on keywords

The limitations I've found are two fold:

1. Portal indexing functionality seems limited for data types such as excel, pdf etc

2. Azure search seems to be a backend solution which would then need a front end UI built on top of it for a non-tech savvy audience.

Am I understanding this correctly? I would love to be able to use an Azure solution because my client is keen on adopting Azure as a cloud platform and it would be helpful to have an integrated solution in one place but I worry that my specific use case is not what Azure search was built for (hence the limitations). Pls let me know if I'm missing anything or I'm offbase. 

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:06 AM
  • Hi, Azure Search is a service you can use integrate into your application to enable a wide range of search scenarios including indexing of excel and pdf files as well as searching and filtering over files content and metadata. The Azure Portal is there to help you configure the service but you'll need to build your application code on top of Azure Search. If your application is developed in .Net you can use our .Net SDK, otherwise you can call the REST APIs directly from any platform. 

Hope that helps,

Janusz

Monday, November 27, 2017 9:27 PM