Webmatrix 3 - did anyone here upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• User379720387 posted

Any experiences to share?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:15 PM

Answers

• User1713851783 posted

The upgrade of your working environment is never an easy responsibility, nor with a stable software release.

We have already spoken of virtual machines, and I know your opinion, but they are the best solution to test a new release and find possible incompatibilities.

Anyway, for me WebMatrix 3 works well.

Edited

I have found some problems in the Database Workspace. As an example, if you try to interactively add a row in a table with an identity fields, the program doesn't manage to update the indentity fields and throws an "invalid data" error.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:40 AM
  • User895691971 posted

I have upgraded, No bugs or issue found in it for me! Great upgrade :)

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:56 AM

All replies

• User-908601221 posted

I upgraded.  I haven't run into any issues yet, but haven't used all the features either.  So far I like it as much as I do WebMatrix 2.  I guess the main thing is that it hasn't crashed or messed up any of my sites so it seems good.  All the sites I've opened have run fine as well.

The Git integration is what I was most interested in, but I haven't had the chance to really try it out to say good or bad of it.  It does recognize my site folders with Git as the source control so that is good so far.

I opened up a Wordpress site using WM3 and it went well so I have no complaints there.

I think the Azure integration looks interesting, but I publish to Azure via Git so I haven't tried out using WebMatrix to publish sites.

The UI overall seems to be more refined and nicer.

In case any of the WebMatrix team is reading, nice work.  I really like WebMatrix because it brings out the simpler and in my opinion more enjoyable aspects of making a web site.  The fact that it supports more than asp.net web pages is a plus as well.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:34 PM
  • User379720387 posted

I would like to upgrade but I don't want to risk it as there is still some issue with Nuget updates. Says it needs to upgrade but then cannot actually do it.

Nobody else did upgrade?

Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:21 AM
  • User1713851783 posted

The upgrade of your working environment is never an easy responsibility, nor with a stable software release.

We have already spoken of virtual machines, and I know your opinion, but they are the best solution to test a new release and find possible incompatibilities.

Anyway, for me WebMatrix 3 works well.

Edited

I have found some problems in the Database Workspace. As an example, if you try to interactively add a row in a table with an identity fields, the program doesn't manage to update the indentity fields and throws an "invalid data" error.

Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:40 AM
  • User1815411410 posted

hi all,

I completely agree wikth GMGregori,

WebMatrix 3 just works perfectly fine here.

:)

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:45 AM
  • User-352524747 posted

For me, webmatrix 3

(a) connecting to a database in design view for the first time takes time.

(b) can't add data to a table in design view, the error i get (without modifying Id column - primary key =true, is identity =true) :

Your change could not be committed to the database.
    After you click OK you can fix the invalid entry or press the Esc key to cancel your changes.

The column cannot be modified. [ Column name = Id ]

System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException (0x80004005): The column cannot be modified. [ Column name = Id ]
       at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
       at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.ExecuteCommandText(IntPtr& pCursor, Boolean& isBaseTableCursor)
       at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, String method, ResultSetOptions options)
       at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.DatabaseManager.SqlCeDatabase.SqlCeDatabaseProvider.InsertRowInternal(DbConnection connection, DbTransaction transaction, String tableName, String schema, IList`1 columnDataInfoList, Boolean useOldValues)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.DatabaseManager.SqlCeDatabase.SqlCeDatabaseProvider.InsertRow(String connectionString, String tableName, String schema, IList`1 columnDataInfoList)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.DatabaseManager.IisDbManagerModuleService.InsertRow(DatabaseConnection databaseConnection, String tableName, String schema, ArrayList columnDataInfoArrayList, String configPathState)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.DatabaseManager.Client.ClientConnection.InsertRow(String name, String schema, ArrayList columnDataInfoArrayList)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.DatabaseManager.Client.ClientTable.InsertRow(ArrayList columnDataInfoArrayList)
       at Microsoft.WebMatrix.DatabaseManager.Client.DataView.InsertRow(RowData rowData)

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:18 AM
  • User-625421915 posted

I have the same problem, same error Message.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:39 AM
  • User-908601221 posted

The same error happens to me as well.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:11 PM
  • User-1186424966 posted

Unfortunatelly, same error is still here (final version of WM 3).

I use SqlCe40Toolbox for this (and a lot of other DB function).

Vladimír

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:03 AM
  • User895691971 posted

I have upgraded, No bugs or issue found in it for me! Great upgrade :)

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:56 AM
  • User577161121 posted

Did you ever figure out a work around for this?  I am a newbie trying to work thru one of the tutorials and I can't get past the step of entering the first record into the table for this very reason.  Would love to hear how you dealt with it.

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:04 AM
  • User379720387 posted

Uninstall. Go with WebMatrix 2.

Unless you think that Microsoft will crank out a quick fix, and how long are you willing to wait?

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:55 AM
  • User1713851783 posted

As pointed by vklaus, you can use SqlCe40Toolbox which is however a really usefull utility.

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:59 AM
  • User379720387 posted

GmGregori,

Are you telling us that WebMatrix 3 as a stand alone product is not useable?

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:51 AM
  • User1713851783 posted

wavemaster

Are you telling us that WebMatrix 3 as a stand alone product is not useable?

I'm telling that the Database workspace of WebMatrix 3 has bugs that require to use a standalone utility.

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:01 AM
  • User577161121 posted

Can you please explain to a newbie how to use this utility?  I downloaded it, and ran it, but could not find square one.  

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:19 AM
  • User577161121 posted

I cant find a download link for WM 2.  Only WM 3.  Anybody got one?  

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:24 AM
  • User1713851783 posted

Can you please explain to a newbie how to use this utility?  I downloaded it, and ran it, but could not find square one.

1. Run Sql Server Compact Toolbox
    2. Right click on Add SQL Server Compact 4.0 Connection ...
    3. Browse to the .sdf file that you have created in WebMatrix 3
    4. Expand the connected database and display the table in which you want to insert a new record
    5. Right click on it an select "SCRIPT AS INSERT"
    6. Toolbox displays a SQL INSERT query in the right pane, edit it inserting your values and click on "Execute"

The following links give useful informations on the SQL INSERT statement:

SQL INSERT INTO Statement

INSERT (SQL Server Compact) 

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:51 AM
  • User379720387 posted

It appears that Microsoft has already concluded that a solution will not be forthcoming anytime soon.

They are busy trying to figure out how to remove the download link for WebMatrix 3.

http://forums.iis.net/t/1197480.aspx/1?Where+can+I+find+WebMatrix+2+after+v3+released+v3+can+t+be+installed+on+my+vista+

Sunday, May 5, 2013 9:08 AM
  • User-2075123313 posted

Yes, I did. I encountered no issues with the process and my programs are working fine under Version 3.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 11:28 AM
  • User-908601221 posted

@wavemaster, that post didn't sound like they were going to pull WM3, rather they were looking to how to make WM2 available as well since it doesn't seem to run on Vista?

Besides the data entry, which is a pretty big issue, WM3 has been working okay for me so far.

Monday, May 6, 2013 3:31 PM
  • User379720387 posted

They should pull WM3.

Imagine all the time people are wasting only to find out there is a major bug.

Monday, May 6, 2013 9:27 PM
  • User1040882835 posted
    So what is the workaround? I spent all day doubting myself as a programmer.
    Monday, May 13, 2013 12:48 AM
  • User1040882835 posted
    Did you try to add data to a table with identity field as key?
    Monday, May 13, 2013 12:54 AM
  • User1713851783 posted

Look at my previus post about using SqlCe40Toolbox.

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:10 AM
  • User927668988 posted

Well i somehow got automatically upgraded. And now i'm not able to create any new sites with wordpress. Also some of the existing sites are not opening . Can someone help ?

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:21 PM
  • User1129400750 posted

after the upgrade in the web.config of my project has been added

<system.data>
            <DbProviderFactories>
                <remove invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />
                <add invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" name="Microsoft® SQL Server® Compact 4.0"
    			description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact"
    			type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />
            </DbProviderFactories>
        </system.data>

does anyone know what is that and why it is here?! thanks

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:48 PM
  • User1429547973 posted

After upgrading from 2 to 3, I too have encountered the same "Cannot insert explicit value ... when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF" error when adding a row to a table from the WebMatrix 3 database module.  It appears I cannot use the suggested SqlCe40Toolbox for my db, which is MS SQExpressL, not the CE version (sdf) of the database.  It used to work fine in 2.   I really hope they fix this major bug.  I guess I have to resort to sqlcmd.exe on the command line...

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:38 PM
  • User1713851783 posted

It appears I cannot use the suggested SqlCe40Toolbox for my db, which is MS SQExpressL, not the CE version (sdf) of the database.

You can use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) that is a more powerful tool than Sql Ce Toolbox and works with SQL Server databases.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:33 AM
  • User483055775 posted

I upgraded - after a full backup. I agree with what you said in that it supports - really whatever you want to throw in the mx.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:48 AM
  • User-1484187403 posted

Upgraded; no problems at all with my site at www.bigsurgarrapata.com - it was a seamless upgrade for me.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:43 AM
  • User-1980594115 posted

Love this upgrade.  Experienced no problems in the installation.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:18 PM
  • User895691971 posted

I upgraded, actually this one is a great upgrade, in previous version, I was caught in the basic error 'Application is not a valid 32-bit' or something like that. But after the upgrade, I can use it even if I run it after many days, back then I had to run the application as soon as I turn on my computer.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:09 AM
  • User483055775 posted

For those of you who have said you have no issues,  and are using the included sql server compact file (sdf) ,  go to the database page and try to insert a record into a table - a table with the usual unique key.  And please report if you have upgraded to W 3 and are able to insert a record through the db page utility.  I went to one of my add forms, and was able to insert the same exact record with no problems.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:43 PM
  • User-2075123313 posted
    I got around it by using SQL Insert.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:47 PM
  • User483055775 posted

Same here, JohnRicardo.  Great minds.....

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:50 PM
  • User-1589076230 posted

I got the IDENTITY_INSERT error, also.   I wasted about 4 hours on it, 4 hours that I don't have to give away...

It is so infuriating that, apparently, MICROSOFT doesn't even test their products before they release them.

My workaround, now that I have figured out that I wasn't the one causing the error, is simply to leave everything in place and not to use that IDENTITY KEY field (or whatever it's called); I'll just update the field manually myself.

Another strike against the big MSFT.    You would think they'd be out of business by now...

Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:16 PM
  • User379720387 posted

6 weeks since the bug was found.

As an aspiring coder I wonder how things like this go in a big company.

How could anyone take more than a few weeks to fix a bug like this? Even if we allocate several days worth of meetings, maybe 3 weeks top.

Apparently they think this bug is not really a big thing. 

Thursday, June 6, 2013 1:35 PM
  • User1912516471 posted

WOW , not sure why it takes so long to fix this. I use VS to design db , so did not see that before.... but few days ago had to do something on my tablet , where i have only WM and surprise:( 

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:39 PM
  • User1546138644 posted

On the other hand, the presence of the Identity bug has been a great challenge to solve for a newbie like me to the platform- I used it as an opportuntiy to branch out of the tutorial and auto-increment a faux Id column so that the rest of the tutorial would just work. It took me a while to get right though, but I reckon I learnt quite a bit about WebMatrix in solving it :)

Having said that I wouldn't have stood a chance if I was a complete noob to programming as well- At least I know SQL and the concept of what I needed to do :) I just manually inserted the first few records to get it rolling.

As a noob it is incredibly difficult to know, or work out, what tools you can (or should) be using for which job in this platform as there is so much choice. I'm focussing on Web Pages with WebMatrix, but I don't know what kinds of problems I should really be using other platforms (MVC etc) for, or other tools (such as the SQL toolkit mentioned above)...

I remain confident it will all get clearer as I move along... Web page security model next, to add some user authentication and profiles... I'm tentatively looing forward to it..

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:13 AM
  • User1429547973 posted

It is so infuriating that, apparently, MICROSOFT doesn't even test their products before they release them.

WebMatrix is a freebie, after all, and appears to me to be somebody's hobby/pet project---for which I am grateful.

If so, it would mean less rigor in the QC department, and that developers are not obligated to fix bugs in a hurry.

-Gavin

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:25 PM
  • User-1336545141 posted

I upgraded from wm2 to wm3 and it has been a nightmare. The program shows only 2 starter kits [empty/personal] and worse, it does not recognize any database [ce/sql]. I can't run any of my previous programs without it boiling over. I tried downloading  WebMatrix2 from the Microsoft site but the link is broken. Does anyone know where I can download the Wm2 version? Thank you.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:34 AM