Laptop Hardware Recommendation VS 2012 Web Application and SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• User-1324173748 posted

Hi,

I need to ask the recommended Hardware requirement for development related to VS2012 Web app and SQL Server

Furthermore need to ask good company from HP, Dell and IBM

Thanks,

Taha

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:10 PM

Answers

• User1508394307 posted

Requirements depend on various factors but usually you would be able to run and work on any modern hardware from HP or DELL (IBM does not produce laptops anymore)

VS.NET 2012 http://www.techulator.com/resources/7422-Visual-Studio-2012-System-requirements-hardware-requirements.aspx 
    Sql 2012 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Brand - whatever you like.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:21 PM
  • User281315223 posted

Regarding Laptop / OS Configuration

There really isn't going to be any stringent requirements or "best" configuration for developing .NET Applications aside from the normal things that you might look for. The following are always great things to consider : 

• RAM - Get as much as you can afford / support.
    • Processor - Much like RAM, this is really going to translate into speed for all the goodies that you'll need like building, compiling and generate speed when you are running applications.
    • Solid State Hard Drive - These might be a bit pricy but it is worth it to at least put your OS partition on the solid state, you'll experience dramatic differences in OS start-up and all around performance improvements.
    • Windows OS - You'll need a Windows Operating System to run .NET and all of the goodies relating to it (either natively installed or using something like Bootcamp if you are running a Mac)

Just ensure that the machine you select meets the minimum System Requirements, which shouldn't be too much of a challenge for any new laptop that isn't built just for web-browsing. As far as brands go, any of the major ones out there should be fine (HP, Dell, Asus, Samsung, Sony, etc.) so go where you can find the best features that you want for the best price (and consider reading reviews on your different choices as well).

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:08 PM

All replies

• User1508394307 posted

Requirements depend on various factors but usually you would be able to run and work on any modern hardware from HP or DELL (IBM does not produce laptops anymore)

VS.NET 2012 http://www.techulator.com/resources/7422-Visual-Studio-2012-System-requirements-hardware-requirements.aspx 
    Sql 2012 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Brand - whatever you like.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:21 PM
  • User281315223 posted

Regarding Laptop / OS Configuration

There really isn't going to be any stringent requirements or "best" configuration for developing .NET Applications aside from the normal things that you might look for. The following are always great things to consider : 

• RAM - Get as much as you can afford / support.
    • Processor - Much like RAM, this is really going to translate into speed for all the goodies that you'll need like building, compiling and generate speed when you are running applications.
    • Solid State Hard Drive - These might be a bit pricy but it is worth it to at least put your OS partition on the solid state, you'll experience dramatic differences in OS start-up and all around performance improvements.
    • Windows OS - You'll need a Windows Operating System to run .NET and all of the goodies relating to it (either natively installed or using something like Bootcamp if you are running a Mac)

Just ensure that the machine you select meets the minimum System Requirements, which shouldn't be too much of a challenge for any new laptop that isn't built just for web-browsing. As far as brands go, any of the major ones out there should be fine (HP, Dell, Asus, Samsung, Sony, etc.) so go where you can find the best features that you want for the best price (and consider reading reviews on your different choices as well).

Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:08 PM
  • User1070236303 posted

For me more RAM, stronger CPUs, multiple cores, 7200 RPM HDD, SATA etc. never helped in the past. In other words: just because I bought my new dev laptop, vs never speed up... But, what is really helped: upgrade to SSD. With SSD I got an unbelivable preformance boost with visual studio. I recommend to buy a laptop with a single big ssd (500Gig), do not buy anything with hdd. Do not buy hybrid SSD/HDD.

(If you found that the oem ssd config is expensive, buy the same laptop with a basic hdd, and buy the ssd separatelly (cheaper) and replace the hdd.)

Choose a brand which has the best service support in your country, and offer long warranty (at least 3 years)

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:00 PM
  • User-1716253493 posted

Simply buy a computer that higher than hardware requirements.

More cpu speed and memory will be better. Latest hardware will be faster.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:06 PM
  • User-1324173748 posted

I am now good aware with Ram, processor and Hdd, but still confusing with Brand.

Need to take a descision on Brand with Dell and Hp related to battery backup, display and one new thing what about touch screen result

Is any one tell me about dell inspiron series.

Thanks,

Friday, February 21, 2014 12:22 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Brand isn't going to matter terribly as much as the underlying hardware and often times you might pay for a name more than anything.

Battery life will vary greatly depending on the type of processor that you elect to go with (i5, i7, i3, "Haswell" if you stay within the Intel realm) as well as the actual size of the machine itself. Overall if the machine that you find has all of the criteria that we have listed above and meets your standards (and budget) then it should compare relatively well to any other machine with similar specifications.

I had a Dell Latitude E6510 for many years and it was a incredibly reliable machine for development. If you are looking for a deal, you might consider checking out both Dell and HP's available business lines of computers or refurbished ones. You can save a great deal of money on very quality machines : 

A majority of Dell's computers (and any other manufacturer) are going to be easily customizable so that you can add the features that you are looking for. Your best bet would honestly be deciding what your budget is and prioritizing different factors (touch-screen, SSD, Memory, size, etc.) and then narrowing your choices down to a few different brands. I would really recommend reading through some reviews (especially if you can find them from developers perspectives) to aid you in your decision as well.

In the end, your actual code is going to matter far more than the machine that you write it on.

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:31 AM
  • User-1716253493 posted

Need to take a descision on Brand with Dell and Hp related to battery backup, display and one new thing what about touch screen result

Is any one tell me about dell inspiron series.

Thanks,

You have wrong place ask about it here.

Think that hp a model maybe is better than dell b model, dell x model is better than hp y model. etc.

Use google to find hardware review, rating about device you want to buy.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:55 AM