none
Unable to access Benefits under VS Dev Essential Program

Question

• I have signed up for the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program but I am facing some problems.I supposed to get Benefits but unable to access them.

1) Unable to access Pluralsight Training with the outlook Email, password that I used to sign up.2) Same issue with Xamarin and Wintellect. 3) The SQL Server development Edition is a trial version valid for some months or a permanent one.I cant find serial key.

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

yes, if the form you refer to is this Microsoft Offer Redemption page where you fill out some fields and press "I agree, activate benefit". The benefit is activated with that button after filling out the form.

4) This priority support are the forums at msdn where Microsoft tries to have an active community and they have paid people to support the community. From my understanding, that are these MSFT people. But there are also other people from Microsoft active in these forums even if that is not their main job role.

But a lot of replies are community driven (This thread is a good example. I am just a small part of the community). And there is no defined rule that I know, in which time you will get a reply from a Microsoft employee.

5) Asp.net has its own forums. It is a pitty, because I am also doing some web development but I am not willing to add another site with forums. But these are the correct forums for ASP.Net questions / problems and it is a common practice that we point people to these forums when they have ASP.Net issues.

Full support:

If you get a MSDN subscription then these subscriptions also include some support if I remember correctly. But that is not a full project support but helping with a concrete issue. So you will create a real support ticket where an employee of Microsoft and not some community will help you. This support is also available without MSDN but of course: that will cost money and can be quite expensive. But it can be great if you have a problem which the community cannot solve.

Microsoft offers support through consultants. So you could order a person to work with you / your company for a defined time where you have to pay a daily fee. So from the cost this is "really expensive" but great to get personal power & deep knowledge. (So it is worth the money but it is something that I know from big companies / big projects only.)

The last option that I see is HackHands. There you might find support for less money. But again it costs money and there you really have to check who is helping you (Everyone can offer his help there). 

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Sunny66 Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Hi Subhranil,

I am not sure if I can help you with these points because I do not have any experience in these points.

1) Tests done by others - there might be companies that offer such tests. But the companies that i know have their own testers and so everything on their own.

But what is available is the "Certified for Windows" program. Microsoft is doing some tests to make sure that your application is build as Microsoft wants it. But that is not a full test so the functionality is not (fully) tested.

For Windows Server application (Web-Applications should be in this area from my understanding) the following url might be a first starting point:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/enterprisecloudcertified

2) What code do you need exactly? Microsoft published the sources of most parts (http://referencesource.microsoft.com). The New .Net Core / Asp.Net Core are fully open source so all sources are available.

Then the MSDN Library offers a lot of small codes which should help you to understand things.

There are pages like http://codeproject.com have a lot of articles with projects that show something. I know that this can be nice to have a quick start BUT: The quality is often quite low. People concentrate on one item and forget something else or simply do some nasty things. So in my eyes these articles are not a really big help in my eyes.

There are also other sites like the technet wiki and the code samples on MSDN where you can find documentation and sample codes.

So I am not fully aware what you are missing but there are a lot of things. Maybe there are not as many snippets as for PHP which you could copy and paste to get some quick results but you should never forget that you are responsible for your code and you need to maintain it and make sure that you didn't build in big risks: This simply requires a full understanding of the technology and what you are doing.

3) I do not have any experience with .Net user groups. I only know them as local groups that meet from time to time to talk to each other which is more a general chat and not a "we do a project together". There are sites with open source projects e.g. sourceforge, codeplex and github. 

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Sunny66 Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:37 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

regarding your points:

1) Pluralsight has its own account system. You simply go to the Dev Essentials "Use your benefits" page and choose activate. Then you create your own account at pluralsight with an offer code that is automatically filled in.

2) More or less the same with xamarin - you have to choose activate and then you come to a page where you create a xamarin account.

3) You simply get the iso - when you install sql server developer edition, the code is pre-filled in.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, July 29, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

I downloaded SQL server 2016 developer Edition day before yesterday.

When I tried to install I found that this version is not supported on the OS I am having i.e Windows 2008 Server R2 (x64) and Vista.

I want to know the following:

1) Whether SQL server 2014 developer is supported on the server OS I am having.If yes please provide link for downloading it.In the DEV essentials benefits page only 2016 is shown.

2) I clicked on the Activate button for Plural sight training a few days back but didn't fill up the form on that site.I want to know if my 3 month subscription is activated or will become so after I fill up the form.

3) How to download the videos on Plural sight? Which Video downloader to use? Presently I am using Youtube downloader to download youtube videos.

Thanks for previous reply.

Regards,

S B Ray.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:06 AM
  • Hi S B Ray,

If possible you should consider to upgrade your systems. Windows Server 2008R2 still has some extenmded support but the mainstream support ended last year. (https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/lifecycle/search)

1) The developer edition of SQL Server wasn't available freely in the past. So I fear that the earlier versions are not available as free download. So the only option that I see right now is using the SQL Server Express instead which does not offer the enhanced features of the Enterprise edition and is limited regarding the possible database sizes. It should be ok for a database development and was the tool for free development in the past.

2) As far as I know the 3 month will start as soon as you register with the supplied code. 

3) I cannot help you with this. I never downloaded videos of youtube or pluralisght. So I fear that I cannot help you in this point. (And you might want to check the legal point - I am not sure that this would be allowed. You could download all videos in your test period and continue using it afterwards. But that could depend on local laws and I am not a lawyer at all. It is just a thought that I wanted to mention.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Hello Konrad,

Regarding point 2,

" As far as I know the 3 month will start as soon as you register with the supplied code. "

When u say that 3 month period will start as soon as i register with Plural sight with the code, that means I should have filled in the form on that site.Since I have not filled in form with code, the 3 month period hasn't started.correct?

4) How to use the priority support facility which is one of the benefits? Is there any time limit for getting replies from that forum?

5) I want to develop E-commerce portal using ASP.Net MVC 5 with Angular JS and other frameworks.I am not thorough in the subject and need support regarding Architecture, code.

I have been member of asp.net forum for about 10 years but their support is very slow & time consuming.Is it possible to get such support from this forum & priority forum? Can u suggest some sites where I can get support for my project from start to finish i.e till deployment for a fee.

Regards,

S B Ray.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

yes, if the form you refer to is this Microsoft Offer Redemption page where you fill out some fields and press "I agree, activate benefit". The benefit is activated with that button after filling out the form.

4) This priority support are the forums at msdn where Microsoft tries to have an active community and they have paid people to support the community. From my understanding, that are these MSFT people. But there are also other people from Microsoft active in these forums even if that is not their main job role.

But a lot of replies are community driven (This thread is a good example. I am just a small part of the community). And there is no defined rule that I know, in which time you will get a reply from a Microsoft employee.

5) Asp.net has its own forums. It is a pitty, because I am also doing some web development but I am not willing to add another site with forums. But these are the correct forums for ASP.Net questions / problems and it is a common practice that we point people to these forums when they have ASP.Net issues.

Full support:

If you get a MSDN subscription then these subscriptions also include some support if I remember correctly. But that is not a full project support but helping with a concrete issue. So you will create a real support ticket where an employee of Microsoft and not some community will help you. This support is also available without MSDN but of course: that will cost money and can be quite expensive. But it can be great if you have a problem which the community cannot solve.

Microsoft offers support through consultants. So you could order a person to work with you / your company for a defined time where you have to pay a daily fee. So from the cost this is "really expensive" but great to get personal power & deep knowledge. (So it is worth the money but it is something that I know from big companies / big projects only.)

The last option that I see is HackHands. There you might find support for less money. But again it costs money and there you really have to check who is helping you (Everyone can offer his help there). 

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Sunny66 Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks again for your reply.

I need info on a few things after which I will close this thread.

1) Suppose I develop a desktop Application or a web portal and I want testing to be done in respect of Architecture,best practices,security features apart from the
    functionality.Does Microsoft provide testing services for application developed using its platforms.If yes please provide details.If not, where can I get an application tested before deployment by an Independent testing agency.

2)The problem with Web development using MS platform is that code is not available at a centralized location as in PHP.In case of  PHP there is a centralized repository for code
    so any developer can just download & complete his work.In case of ASP.net there is MSDN which is helpful in understanding concepts but there is very less code.So if code is required
    for a specific purpose it is not to be found in any MS site including MSDN or technet.
    One has to break his head against by searching different MVP sites but the required code may not be available. The AsP.net forum is again not very helpful.So a ASP.net developer
    is not able to complete a project on time & within budget.Thereby his job is always on the firing line.
    Shouldn't Microsoft focus on helping developers with code rather than coming out with new products every 2-3 years?This way Microsoft will have good products but hardly any 
    developer to develop platforms using those products.Have u ever struggled with code in the manner I have mentioned? If not,what have u done differently?

3)Do u know about .Net User Groups?
    User Groups as per my understanding are groups of users using .NET technologies.A group of users collaborate to complete projects.
    How can I find the location of the groups in a particular country? 
    How can I create a Group myself?
    What kind of Support does these groups get from Microsoft?

Regards,

S B Ray
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Hi Subhranil,

I am not sure if I can help you with these points because I do not have any experience in these points.

1) Tests done by others - there might be companies that offer such tests. But the companies that i know have their own testers and so everything on their own.

But what is available is the "Certified for Windows" program. Microsoft is doing some tests to make sure that your application is build as Microsoft wants it. But that is not a full test so the functionality is not (fully) tested.

For Windows Server application (Web-Applications should be in this area from my understanding) the following url might be a first starting point:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/enterprisecloudcertified

2) What code do you need exactly? Microsoft published the sources of most parts (http://referencesource.microsoft.com). The New .Net Core / Asp.Net Core are fully open source so all sources are available.

Then the MSDN Library offers a lot of small codes which should help you to understand things.

There are pages like http://codeproject.com have a lot of articles with projects that show something. I know that this can be nice to have a quick start BUT: The quality is often quite low. People concentrate on one item and forget something else or simply do some nasty things. So in my eyes these articles are not a really big help in my eyes.

There are also other sites like the technet wiki and the code samples on MSDN where you can find documentation and sample codes.

So I am not fully aware what you are missing but there are a lot of things. Maybe there are not as many snippets as for PHP which you could copy and paste to get some quick results but you should never forget that you are responsible for your code and you need to maintain it and make sure that you didn't build in big risks: This simply requires a full understanding of the technology and what you are doing.

3) I do not have any experience with .Net user groups. I only know them as local groups that meet from time to time to talk to each other which is more a general chat and not a "we do a project together". There are sites with open source projects e.g. sourceforge, codeplex and github. 

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by Sunny66 Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:37 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 10:12 AM