none
Task List with TODO for Javascript DOESN'T work good in VisualStudio 2015

Question

• Hello!

There is an opportunity to use TODO in JavaScript files with listing in Task List! (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/06/10/javascript-editor-improvements-in-visual-studio-2015.aspx)

Great!

But it works pretty strange!

When I open solution, after some time I can see TODOs in task list, but not for JavaScript. It seems like VS indexes every time whole solution and show task list. But it skips JS. It adds TODO's from JS files only when I open those files in editor!

Also if I open filter by project name, I can see there <blank> - that section corresponds to JS files with TODOs! Despite there is a project which contains those JS files too, but it doesn't count it.

What's wrong with my VS 2015? Should I write //TODO in some special way?

Friday, January 29, 2016 5:56 PM

Answers

• Created feedback:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/12288555-tasklist-javascript-bug-or-just-a-poor-support-of

• Edited by bam0o Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Monday, February 15, 2016 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by bam0o Monday, February 15, 2016 6:05 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi bam,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what's the version of your Visual Studio? And what's the type of your project?

I just did a test in my side using VS2015 update1. And I can see the TODO in my JS file successfully and when I click the Filter button. I can see the JavaScript.js option successfully.

Please take a look at the following screenshot :

I suggest you could create a new project and create a new JS file and check whether the same issue occurred.

1.If it works well for a new created js file. I think the problem is probably in your project. Please clean and rebuild your project. Then try it again. If still no help. Please create a new js file and use it instead of using the previous one. Then copy the codes to the new js file.

2.If the issue occurred for a new js file. I suppose whether some setting affect it. I suggest you could restore your settings (Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset All Settings)of Visual Studio then try it again.

If after restoring the settings. It still no help. I suppose there is something wrong with your Visual Studio 2015.

In this case, I suggest you'd better repair your VS2015 or install VS2015 Update1 then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, February 1, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Well,

1. the version #:

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
    Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1

2. Please look again at my screenshot: there is filter by project not by files. I want to filter only files from the specific project!

That filter (on your screenshot) I have too and it works same way as in your case. There are concrete JS files, it's a 'File' filter!

3. (ok, i repeat that i wrote in my first post)

I have created new Solution with WebProject.

Then I added 4 JS files and wrote a TODO comment in each.

After this I closed Solution and open again. In the editor was active only ONE JS file. And in Task list there are only comments from THAT ACTIVE file! Other 3 files weren't indexed by Task list.

TODO comments from other 3 files will be shown in Task list only after I activate/open it in text editor.

P.S. I will check this case in VS Community edition later. But I doubt that there will be something different. Seems like JS support still lacks in VS and it is not priority direction of improving VS.

• Edited by bam0o Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi bam0o,

According to your description, I create a sample project with Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 1 and I get the same result as you said.

I think it should be a default design for Visual Studio 2015. I suggest you submit your idea to Visual Studio UserVoice and share the link here. If other communities who has the same idea with you, they can vote and add comments for your feedback. Thanks for your feedback.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Created feedback:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/12288555-tasklist-javascript-bug-or-just-a-poor-support-of

• Edited by bam0o Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:07 AM
    • Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Monday, February 15, 2016 1:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by bam0o Monday, February 15, 2016 6:05 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:07 AM