none
Empty Form Region in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• My form regions started showing up empty (I can't add a picture) when users run Outlook 2013. These regions have been showing up just fine and they still do for many users. The add-in is installing fine, the ribbon buttons work, the registry keys and the install files are set exactly as the once in the computers that work. I'm not sure what's wrong. We use VMs and the problem seems to manifest when a VM is refreshed with a new image from the master VM. I don't know if the new master image is missing something that the old image had. Also, if I install an older version of the add-in, about a month older, the regions do show up fine. What could cause the form region to not load/be empty?

If you need any more info let, let me know. I'll images once my account gets verified.

Monday, May 11, 2015 2:27 PM

Answers

• Are you able to reproduce the issue on a real machine? Does it work?

Did you have a chance to check whether your add-in continues working and listed in the Active add-ins list in Outlook?

The fact is that Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Monday, May 11, 2015 2:52 PM
  • Well, this is awfully embarrassing. Using another program that was failing in the new machines I found there was an error being thrown that was apparently being silently catched. Both programs use a similar winforms control, but the add-in was eating the error while the other problem reported the error when it crashed. Using the Event Viewer I was able to track what the issue was.

I guess the lesson is: if the region isn't loading, it might just be that there is an error with the control and not necessarily the add-in it self.

How do I close this as solved?

Monday, May 11, 2015 5:09 PM

All replies

• Are you able to reproduce the issue on a real machine? Does it work?

Did you have a chance to check whether your add-in continues working and listed in the Active add-ins list in Outlook?

The fact is that Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Monday, May 11, 2015 2:52 PM
  • Well, this is awfully embarrassing. Using another program that was failing in the new machines I found there was an error being thrown that was apparently being silently catched. Both programs use a similar winforms control, but the add-in was eating the error while the other problem reported the error when it crashed. Using the Event Viewer I was able to track what the issue was.

I guess the lesson is: if the region isn't loading, it might just be that there is an error with the control and not necessarily the add-in it self.

How do I close this as solved?

Monday, May 11, 2015 5:09 PM
  • Add-ins are not standalone applications that can display exceptions at runtime. Users shouldn't see any cryptic messages or get applications crashed. That's why exceptions are silently supressed.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Hi, what do you now about?

Open Visual studio 2016-2019, create VSTO Outlook project and add Form region. Set button an form.

run project.

1. Open Outlook

2. Open Mail item from Outlook (Add-in and Form region visible all work ok!)

3 Close Mail item.

4 Open Mail item from file   as file.msg get  BUG ( Add-in working , checked from debugger, Form region is empty can see only NAME of Form region)

Open Mail item from Outlook get  BUG ( Add-in working , checked from debugger, Form region is empty can see only NAME of Form region)

6 Close all Mail item .

Open Mail item from Outlook (Add-in and Form region visible al work ok!)

8 Don't close opened Mail item and  Open Mail item from file   as file.msg get  (Add-in and Form region visible all work ok!)

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 9:28 AM