Symmetric Key Issue RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 servers in our web-farm. One of them is working as expected but on the other we get this error. I've backed up the key from one server and applied that the the second but that has not fixed the problem. I've read the online support articles and thought I had this setup correctly but apparently not. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key that is used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. (rsReportServerDisabled) Get Online Help

Keyset does not exist (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090016)

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi ClaytonHoyt,

In your scenario, as you are coping the symmetric key from another report server, and symmetric key is not the same one that locks and unlocks encrypted data currently stored in the report server database. The copy that you restored is not valid, so the report server cannot access the encrypted data currently stored in the report server database. For more information, please refer to this article: Back Up and Restore Reporting Services Encryption Keys.

To fix the issue, please back up the ReportServer, ReportServerTempDB databases and configuration files for Reporting Services, then delete the encryption keys, the report server re-initializes itself automatically by adding a new symmetric key. Please refer to this article: Deleting Unusable Encrypted Content.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 11, 2016 5:16 AM